Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Action-packed suited connector

[ QUOTE ]
1) The PFR was a poster, and therefore a bit less likely to auto-continuation bet the flop
2) I'd rather trap the most people in this hand that I can, since I have top pair and a straight draw. I don't need to clean up any outs, and it does little good to try to c/r and get this heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's reasonable. If you had A7 I think c/r would be the clear choice, but since you have no kicker it's more likely you need to make 2 pair or better even if you got it heads up. Nice.

You're right, MP1 could have a set. Guess it's not any more horribly played than the hands I listed.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why no c/r on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 reasons.

1) The PFR was a poster, and therefore a bit less likely to auto-continuation bet the flop
2) I'd rather trap the most people in this hand that I can, since I have top pair and a straight draw. I don't need to clean up any outs, and it does little good to try to c/r and get this heads up.

I may be wrong, but this is what I was thinking when I bet the flop. UTG's raise surprised me, so I decided to just call and see the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a flop check-raise. You do have a gutshot, but the way you'll usually win this hand (when you do) is your 7 holding up, and since your hand is very vulnerable the value of forcing out overcards and such seems very high here.

So I like a flop check-raise.

I also don't know how I feel about the turn. Your three-bet seems pretty likely to force out the original turn bettor, who you may well have beat, and get the hand heads-up with someone who you are chopping with or losing to.

I kind of prefer calling the two on the turn and donking the river, calling a raise.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Flop check/raise seems pretty standard here to me. Betting out is not "trapping the field" as much as giving sweet odds to hands like QJ or whatever.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why no c/r on the flop. it seems standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I've noticed about 5/10 (as opposed to, say, 3/6) is that the flop action after a preflop raise is not as predictable.

This is a flop the PFR might not bet, versus four opponents. He also might not get the chance to check behind. If Hero checks, it's hard to anticipate what will happen after that.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Hero checks, it's hard to anticipate what will happen after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's rare to just see everyone check to the raiser and the raiser auto-betting, and a few people peeling.

Also, if I check I could see it 2 back to me and not really know where I stand.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why no c/r on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see how the PFR being a poster has to do with his likeliness to continuation bet the flop

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a pair of 7's with a gutshot isnt exactly a strong hand. i'm definitely not trying to trap the whole field on this flop. there's also a flush draw on the board. cleaning up outs and/or getting it HU in this hand would actually be really awesome
Old 11-20-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try putting MP1 on a hand, by the way. That's a challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

88?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a pair of 7's with a gutshot isnt exactly a strong hand. i'm definitely not trying to trap the whole field on this flop. there's also a flush draw on the board. cleaning up outs and/or getting it HU in this hand would actually be really awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:47 PM

omg you have perfect relative position to check/raise the flop.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM

I also like a c/r on the flop.

Also, I just bet right out on the turn. I didn't see anyone say that, so perhaps I'm out in left field here. I guess you're expecting UTG to bet and then trap the field for a bunch of bets. However, his raising the flop tells me he's hoping people get out, they didn't, the turn is extrememly scary, I want to make sure it gets bet, and I can 3 bet from there. The nice thing is that if UTG does raise again, there are a lot of draws that aren't going anywhere.