Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Paul Phillips WSOP Hand

i shouldnt be replying to a gimmick account but... pauls idea of cr'ing is a joke and it was a bad play.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:18 AM

I would like to thank Paul for posting this hand.

When I first read it, I thought "WTF?" Now, I I feel like I am gaining yet another level of understanding of the game from Paul.

I cannot describe how much Paul's writing has meant to me.

Thanks Paul.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing versus an average player, then this is a call since the range of hands he could probably have makes the play +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
The call is +EV if AK is in the hand range no matter what other hands you surmise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your reasoning and agree with your blog conclusion. But here you must mean it is +EV if AK is in the hand range no matter what other reasonable hands you surmise. As if his hands are picked from 99,22,92,AK then you only have 32% equity. You do slightly worse if you add AA, KK, QQ to that range.

But yes, under any reasonable range, that is a clear call. I don't think I'd have realized it at the table though.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
or a 9 (you're 30%).

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14 AM

I like the play. I think Button makes a bet of 3-4k, then folds to a Checkraise with AK or AQ, often enough for attempting to CR being better than just pushing.

Also, when he overbets the pot, I think AK or AQ is much more likely than an overpair.

Also, to answer Sekrah the uber-troll's last question.. if you have 40BB, exact same hand comes up against someone with 60BB (larger raises preflop, to make the pot odds equal to this one), you call every single time.

You say "PaulP is probably the best player at the table" .. calling getting 1.6-1 on a coinflip is precisely why he is the best player at the table.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:32 PM

I guess Pauls understanding of poker is that he is looking for +EV situations, and taking advantage of them at any opprotunity. This is a very unique way to look at the game.

However, hisoppenant happened to benefit by Paul's narrow scope of the game in this particular situation..

I think that this type of mentality could guide him through a big tournament with a monster field, however it can lead him to the rail early as well.

I guess if a boxer knew he could win the fight by jabbing and playing a conservative game and win a certain decision at the end... should he do it?? .. or go for a knock out punch because he happens to be getting some favorable odds of taking his oppenant out there while risking the outcome of the fight to do so. Its an interesting take to the game..

If I were a player who thought he couldn't out manouver an oppenant, I would be happy to risk all my chips on a coin flip when the odds dictated that I was getting the better of the EV. However if I knew I could beat him, I would wait and beat him in a better spot.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 PM

With 6k in the middle, and 10k/13k in the stacks, this is a push-situation. For both players. Hero discovered this a little bit too late.