Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Unorthodox move in a live game

First some background to put the move in context. Live 1/2 game in the city. There are 8 players at the table but usually only 7 in any given hand as somebody is always getting up to go for a smoke, piss, food, or whatever. There is nobody at the table who hasn't played at least two sessions before with me. I am generally unpredictable in this game, raising and betting more as a function of the situation than as a function of the strength of my hand. On this particular evening, I decided I was going to play nothing but pairs and AK outside of an unraised BB and see if this strategy would be profitable. We've been playing about 2.5 hours and I've shown down two hands, AK and JT. Oddly, both hands chopped unimproved, though I did raise the AK preflop, then raised a bet on the flop with no pair and no draw (turn and river of that hand were checked through and my opponent also had AK).

I'm talking a lot at the table and busting people's chops over silly, irrelevant things. Every time somebody pauses a long time before betting/calling, I say something along the lines of "you should just go all-in, then you won't need to make any more tough decisions". I think it gets under people's skin sometimes, but its generally lighthearted and, as I do all the time, won't be construed as unethically talking about a hand I'm not involved in.

On to the hand in question. As the cards are being dealt, I'm badgering the guy next to me who folded to a big turn bet the previous hand, saying stuff like "you should've gone all-in, he wouldnt' call", etc. Then I say, "man, nobody listens to me, maybe I should just go all-in this hand".

Its folded to me in the CO, button and both blinds have me covered. I look at my hand to see black tens and push for $80.

You like?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Unorthodox move in a live game

I should also add that the players in this game are generally rather aggressive. About 70% of pots are raised preflop and there are rarely more than 3 seeing a flop. The players at the table when this happened are decent, but with a tendency towards overaggressiveness with draws and TPGK hands postflop. There have been some pretty impressive bluff-catching calls in the past as well (earlier on this evening, a guy called a large river bet with Q-high and it was good).
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 AM

If you think you can get all the money in the middle as a large favorite, I like it. Kind've depends on the players and your (maniacal/tight) image I think. If the looser ones will call your all in with A8s, 22-88, etc., then I think its a good move.

Intrested to see the results.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Assuming this is the game I think it is. I dont think you're going to make any more than 3 dollars on this hand. Or. . you're going to lose 80. You only have three opponents left and unless one of them wakes up with AA,KK,QQ, JJ(maybe) they're folding. The only equity here I think would be to continuously do this to the point of annoying people. Then, when you do pick up AA and move in for nth time, they'll call. I do think you can put in a big raise here and maybe get a caller but an all in I doubt it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:20 AM

It is the game you think it is and the 3 players behind me were JR (button), Big John (SB), and Ken (BB)-- does that affect your answer at all?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:29 PM

Hope you bought something nice with your $3.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hope you bought something nice with your $3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got called, but beyond that I'll save the results for later.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM

I don't know the players or the game but I don't see you getting called by a hand that you dominate often enough to make it worth it. Usually you will see a higher pair or at least two overs. Or do these guys just hate money?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:58 PM

Unorthodox, but it's a tough hand to play. Why not make a standard raise to get rid of Ax and KJ, and go from there? Caveat: I'm weak-tight live.

It seems that this kind of raise might just get called by a huge stack looking for an easy gamble at 80 bucks, and AJ with a huge stack might just make that call.

I say standard raise to define your opposition, see the flop in position, and go from there.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 PM

I push here too, after I said I would. (Only if they noticed that you said it before you looked at your cards, but as I understand it, you were chatting before the cards were dealt?)

I'm not sure it has higher EV than a standard raise, but I think it's positive. And if you don't get called you get to not show, and you have cultivated some image. (Since you are going to play with these boys again.)

Not to mention it's more fun.