Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Grand Tournament Good/Bad Comments

Do any of you guys know?

What time day one usually ends at eastern standard time.... If any of you played in the Grand II and could tell me this I would appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you guys know?

What time day one usually ends at eastern standard time.... If any of you played in the Grand II and could tell me this I would appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Day one is scheduled for 6 hours and 30 minutes of play.
With the event starting at 3PM ET that brings us to 9:30PM ET.

Tournament Team - PokerRoom.com
Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-04-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have an estimate of how many registers your going to recieve for this tournament this weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

GTI had about 200 players... GTII had about 500 players... as a projection GTIII will probably be about 750 or more

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt we will see 750 players in the GT3 due to it being summer and all. The current setup, with no antes and blinds starting so low, also generates so many hours of hours of play that I think a field about as big as last time would be satisfactory.

As we develop the tournament even further we will however see even larger crowds.

But to some extent I do agree with the poster enjoying the fact that not all high-limit events must be 2,000+ player affairs.

Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-04-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Can You Address This Please?

It is commendable that you solicit the opinions and comments of the participants of this forum.

My concern pertains to Pokerroom's tournaments in general and the handling of a disconnected player's (DP) hand. In Pokerroom, a DP's hand in the big blind is still in play and gets folded only if someone bets/raises on the flop or turn. If it is checked around, the DP can win if he has the best hand. If DP is all-in, his hand is in play up to the river regardless of past actions on the flop and turn and again, can win a portion of the pot if he has the best hand at the showdown. In the other sites I play, a DP is given a certain amount of time to be re-connected, otherwise, his hand is automatically folded when it is his turn to act. This is similar to B&M tourneys where an player' hand is folded when he is absent and it is his time to act even if he is in the big blind.

I have brought this to your tech support citing that in your current set up, a DP with a sizable stack near the bubble can cash-in. (I have personally seen this in the past in one of your smaller tourneys.) The reply I got was almost ridiculous citing even the WSOP.

With Pokerroom's initiative to simulate a B&M tourney atmosphere, this is one area that i think should be addressed/remedied immediately.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:43 AM

There have been some inquiries regarding the blind structure etc.
For those requesting it, the easiest place to find all of the information is in the GT3 Blog.

C u at the tables!

Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With Pokerroom's initiative to simulate a B&M tourney atmosphere, this is one area that i think should be addressed/remedied immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duly noted.

C u at the tables!

Meet Them and Beat Them
Old 08-04-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

Since the Grand Tournament III is right around the corner we'd like to take the opportunity to ask you all what you think about the overall concept.
Since it differs in many aspects from most other online tournaments, comments from the online playing community are invaluable to us.

Do note that we don't make money off the GT events so there's no need for us to spam it. Technically, that isn't true, given the raked satelites, not that it really matters.

Now.

1. Is $10,000 in starting chips and 30 minutes blind levels a good thing online or should that be left for live events? Fantastic. Sure, it takes a little longer, which is why I think it should be reserved for 1K events and up, but a faster tourney with this high of an entry fee would be too much of a crapshoot for the stakes. Good job.

2. Is running an event over two days (with chip carry-over) online just an added hassle or actually refreshing as it gives players the chance to recouperate? I think everyone would agree this works fine on a weekend and is better than a 15 hour + day/night on-day event for with that much on the line.

3. Should a tournament with such a high stacks/blinds ratio still incorporate deals or does that need become obsolete since a general short-stackedness (for lack of a better term) will not really be an issue?
Deals should be the players' option, always.

4. Should major online tournaments feature more instant media coverage (commentary, blogging etc) or is the anonymity factor too important? Why not?

5. Is $1,000 buy-in general just too hefty for an online tournament or would even $5,000 be doable as long as the setup is the right one? I believe there is a 2500 event on one of the other sites (I'm a mac-only user so I only play PR). Personally I think a 5000 event, done right, would be terrific (and a good way to create a smaller field event once the 1000 event gets way larger). How about the same 10000 chips with one-hour levels over three days?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated an taken into account as we try and do our share in advancing the
frontier of online poker into new, exciting, territory.

C u at the tables!

Meet Them and Beat Them

[/ QUOTE ]

General comment, I like the pokerroom software and games a lot. I have been tempted to find a way to play on your major competitors, because they are larger and have more frequent large buyin tourneys (150's every night for example), but I like the trend the Grand is indicating.

Do you have any thoughts about making some of the weekday tournaments bigger buyin events? I would love if the U.S. Daily was a 100 some days. Also, maybe you could make the last BD of every month a 500+30 or something, or even a 600+40, where people could just use two satellite entries at once to play. Then, you could have a yearend 5K or 10K championship event that you can buy into or win you way into by winning one of the bigger BD's or a Grand, or through satellites. Just a couple thoughts.

Also, is another Grand PLO on the way?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM

If someone is dumb enough not to throw in a token raise against an "away" big blind, they probably deserve to losethe hand.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM

It would be nice if I can register for the tournament, lol.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:32 PM

Hi PokerRoom.com-

Would it be possible to add a time bank and/or increase the time to make a decision on each hand?