Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 03:18 PM

Default A set with a four flush on the board

Live 3-6 at the Taj. Villian is fairly tight and fairly aggressive (not extreme in either case) and seems generally solid all around.

I'm MP1 with 99. I open raise. Villian (2 seats to my left) calls. One more late position loose caller. Everyone else, including blinds, folds.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check raised villian. The loose caller folded to villians initial bet.

Turn is a low [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I checked. Villian bet. I called. I know the check was weak. Most of the time I bet this out, but for some reason I rationalized check calling. I guess I figured I didn't want to pay 2 bets for my boat draw if he made his flush (this was actually very stupid because I was fairly sure that he was betting the flop on an A, and the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] was out there). But anyway, this isn't really what I want to discuss. Comments are welcome though and feel free to berate me.

River is another low [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check. Villian bets. What do I do? I beat anything he's holding that doesn't include a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Do I give him respect for a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and save myself a bet, or do I make a crying call because I'm getting decent pot odds (8-1 if I added it up correctly)?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: A set with a four flush on the board

I would call the river. After you check-called the turn, Villain probably figures you don't have a diamond and might bet without one.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Bet the turn, bet the river.

In your scenario, call the river bet.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM

You have to call the river. You can't make it so easy to bluff you off the winning hand for one bet.

This goes double for live play. You can't change tables so easily when they realize you save bets with weak folds and start coming after you.