Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Default stars 10r, the badbeat, the suckout and the debateable call

i won the 25k guaranteed 10r on stars last night. i thought i'd post the 3 most interesting hands. i'm looking for opinions on hands 1 and 3 thanks.

hand 1
i'm the chipleader at my table with around 110k (av is around 50k). the table is playing tight and we're 2 or 3 tables away from the money.

blinds are 1000/2000 with 100 ante

i raise to 6000 utg with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folds to cutoff (with 50k)who reraises to 14000 (at this point i would say his hand range is somewhere between A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), i call 8000.

flop
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

i check, he bets 18000, i raise to 36000, he calls his last 17000 all in

turn
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

river
6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

his hand A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

when he made a trappy reraise preflop, with his stack and at this stage of the tournament, i felt he could only have aces. being offered 3/1 on my preflop call added to the fact that he had another 36k behind i felt i could call the 8k and break him if a 7 fell and check fold almost any other flop. is this thinking flawed?

hand2
i had been average or short chipped since the badbeat but i managed to limp to the final table and was second shortest stack with 360k. in my experience most final tables tend to start out quite tight with everyone playing to make a couple of pay increases before they make their move.

blinds 20000/40000 with a 2000 ante

3 folds to me with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i raise to 357000 all in, button calls 357000 and the blinds fold.

his hand A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

flop
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

turn
2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

river
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

i runner runner a flush. FABULOUS!

hand 3
it was about an orbit after the suckout that this hand came up. i was on the button with 720k.
to give you some background the small blind seemed quite a strong player and with 18 left in the tournament i had his table open to monitor the other stack sizes and watch how everyone was playing. i had noticed that he was fond of making all in reraises from the small blind when he thought that the button or lp raiser was stealing (he had made the play twice in the ten minutes i was watching).

blinds 20000/40000 with a 2000 ante

folded to me on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and i raise to 120000, small blind reraises to 634000 all in, i insta call.

thoughts?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: stars 10r, the badbeat, the suckout and the debateable call

you are my hero. how you knew that spade was going to fall in hand 2 was amazing.

just kidding.

hand 1, don't like the UTG raise (but one I occasionally make also), fold to the reraise (especially if you put him on AA, why would you call and hope to a hit a 2 outer, a straight or a flush, not sure of the reasoning with the range you put him on). Once the flop came, no way i'm getting away from this hand on any street and allin with the best of it is a good thing at the flop.

based on your observations in hand 3 not a bad call, but maybe a bit reckless. How do you know that the times you saw him raise, he didnt actually have a hand? were they ever called and shown down? how many players were left at this point when you instacalled? still a full table?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM

I'd like to know what player you mean in the 3rd hand, I busted out in 15th so I was playing with this player and may be able to help with an analysis. Do u remember which seat he was in during the final two tables?

-Falker
Old 11-30-2005, 02:45 PM

it sounds like Fille, if it was i insta call as well
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM

it was gerndg
Old 11-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Hand 1 I'm allright with. His range is a very easy read as you noted. He can't be worse than QQ, small chance of KK, likely AA. What else is someone going to make a smallish raise with against the big stack on the bubble? So your implied odds are good, you know exactly what your opponent has and you can get away from the hand with a ton of chips left if you don't make your set. The PF raise is fine with the big stack, and calling the reraise is fine. Excellent line on the flop, you knew he'd bet it, the check-raise is ideal there. That beat musta been a gut punch for ya.

But the hand 2 suckout makes up for it. I'm not sure if I like the push, but if you raise, you're going to end up all-in if someone comes back all-in. As the second smallest stack, it seems reasonable, but it depends how big your stack is relative to the folks behind you and whether you actually have significant FE.

3rd hand, that's real read-dependant. if you were totally convinced that the villain would reraise all-in without a strong hand, then i imagine you're +EV against his range. against a normal TAG range, this is a lot riskier.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:49 PM

if it was grrrd i would call too. I was watching his table pretty closely with 3 tables left and he made a bunch of very questionable playes. 3 times he called off his satck with A rag and hit. I think you have to call his all in here.

-Falker
Old 11-30-2005, 02:51 PM

hand one is a do you want variance question. you're getting just a little under the necessary 7.5:1 with the implied odds, but you'll get a nice 33% bump in chips and eliminate a player if you hit. I like the call of the re-raise, personally, but a fold could not be argued with. Raising 77 UTG is a bit aggressive for my tastes, though.

re-raising all-in twice in ten minutes is pretty aggressive and I like the ATs against that range. Two questions, though, did he do this every time someone opened in LP and he had not yet acted? Did he ever do this on the button? These questions can significantly narrow down or expand his range of hands depending on the answers.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:53 PM

none of his reraises had been called (that i had seen) and it was a full table
Old 11-30-2005, 03:01 PM

then your instacall wasn't such a bad call, just a shame he actually had a hand this time (maybe he did the other times as well, I would definitely make a note on this guy)