Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Anyone fold with AA here?

Stars $10 Rebuy. Blinds are 100/200.

Table '9361128 4' Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: munchkin_man (3700 in chips)
Seat 2: coolmack (18129 in chips)
Seat 3: minwoo (12141 in chips)
Seat 4: DANTE823 (12470 in chips)
Seat 5: Blue Rhino 4 (23893 in chips)
Seat 6: Mrs R (6245 in chips)
Seat 7: curzdog (14723 in chips)
Seat 8: Cheters23 (6535 in chips)
Seat 9: joeyjojo73 (12187 in chips)
joeyjojo73: posts small blind 100
munchkin_man: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to minwoo [Ac Ah]
coolmack: folds
minwoo: raises 450 to 650
DANTE823: calls 650
Blue Rhino 4: calls 650
Mrs R: folds
curzdog: folds
Cheters23: calls 650
joeyjojo73: folds
munchkin_man: folds
*** FLOP *** [7d Kc 4c]
minwoo: checks
DANTE823: bets 1400
Blue Rhino 4: folds
Cheters23: folds
minwoo: raises 1600 to 3000
DANTE823: raises 8820 to 11820 and is all-in
minwoo ???
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Anyone fold with AA here?

Tough lay down.
What was Dante showing down prior?.
Had an almost identical scenario two days ago with AA and flop K,junk,junk. I bet out,opponent(loosish) raised all in and after deliberating I gritted my teeth and called and he turns over K10. Your opponent could have called your pre flop raise with AK,KQ.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 AM

No read on any of the players. What I really want to know and learn is if its worth risking everything with just an overpair. I have a healthy stack compared to blinds (compared to other chip leaders - not so much).

I've seen some pros lay down TPTK w/ AK and KK when check-raised all-in on the flop. Is laying down AA or any other big hand completely based on reads or is there a fundamental strategy (that I should learn if it is legit) in not risking your whole stack w/ just an overpair or top pair?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 AM

This is a $10 rebuy.

I think most villains would go to the felt here with alot of hands that you beat. I think you have to call.

I'm not sure you can make a great laydown at this level because the quality of the play is not consistent. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 AM

Default I\'m calling

It looks like he has AK, 77, or 44. A lot of times, a lead, followed by an all-in re-raise like this would indicate a flush draw with the All-in, but then he'd have to have QcJc (or JcTc?) given his CC, assuming he's not completely nuts (which is a big assumption at this level).

Given the almost 2:1 pot odds, the blackdoor nut-flush draw, and it's a $10 Rebuy (are Rebuys still available?), i'd have to call.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: I\'m calling

So at this point and type (rebuy) of a tourney...i am going broke no matter what w/ AA on the flop if someone has hit a set?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:27 AM

With those kind of stacks it doesn't seem to me that you did enough to protect your aces.( I have no idea what your starting stacks were) A small pair could have easily called a 450 raise.
I don't think he has you on aces, He has you on top pair and isn't afraid of your kicker.So he at minimum has AK and probably has sevens or fours.
Gotta fold but then I've had ten minutes to think it out.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:31 AM

Assuming a solid player he'll have a set or AK. He could also think you're value betting (or is just a poor player) and push with hands like QQ-TT, or even KQ-KT (I've seen worse at this level). He could also have a nice draw with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]C[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Either way unless you've got a perfect read I don't see how you could fold here. Your EV is way too high in the long run, especially with the skill range you're dealing with. And I wouldn't even consider the backdoor flush here. It's nice to have but you've got the EV either way.

To quote Doyle (a bit out of context but I think it applies), "If my opponent didn't set me in on the flop I'd move it all-in myself, because there are too many ways I could outguess myself, and I'm not going to try." Of course this is assuming you already have a huge chunk of your stack in the middle, but I think with a board like this you can apply this logic. I'm definitely not suggesting you hold on to your Aces in a board that lookes like QQT (although you'd still need to have a good read on your oppoonent, this is still a correct call in many situations), I think your board is safe enough to make it extremely profitable given the range of hands that you're most likely up against.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 AM

first, bet the flop. C/R here and folding to a push is just insane IMO.

How it was played, I would probably kill someone if they were stopping me from clicking call.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:38 AM

You are going to see KQ here way more often than a set. Stealing a line from a poster in the NL forum "I hit him with a healthy dose of instacall."