Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Default This look right? 15+1 PS

How many hands am I ahead of here? Zero? give or take...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1495)
SB (t1320)
BB (t3115)
UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t1390)
Hero (t1720)
MP2 (t1330)
CO (t1660)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t240</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls t120.

Flop: (t555) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t240</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t795
Old 09-22-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: This look right?

I'd raise a little less PF, for two reasons....it obviously makes it a little easier for you to get off the hand PF, but more importantly, it creates a "managable" pot-size for you to navigate (quite possibly OOP) when you are simply called. At this level, even limping isn't horrible (though I too raise TT from this position).

I personally would have ditched to the reraise PF. OOP...even your 2nd-best flop (rainbow unders), doesn't allow you any viable option. You are partially responsible for creating a pot-size that leaves you no room to "learn" anything. Any reasonable, even "probe'ish type lead by you - you're looking at dumping 1/5th of your remaining stack. And of course a wise check on your part will be quickly followed by his c/b and your fold.

working backward...

- check/fold this flop
- fold PF to the reraise
- raise PF to t80-90ish
Old 09-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Assuming no info . . .

I think you should have folded preflop. You made a standard raise with your solid hand, and the button informed you preflop that he had a monster and was wanting action. While it is tempting to pay another 120 with the 3 to 1 pot odds to see a flop, I think folding is correct preflop. What flops could come to make you push? Only a ten really. Why waste the extra 120 when your odds are only 7.5 to 1 of catching the set?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd raise a little less PF, for two reasons....it obviously makes it a little easier for you to get off the hand PF, but more importantly, it creates a "managable" pot-size for you to navigate (quite possibly OOP) when you are simply called. At this level, even limping isn't horrible (though I too raise TT from this position).

I personally would have ditched to the reraise PF. OOP...even your 2nd-best flop (rainbow unders), doesn't allow you any viable option. You are partially responsible for creating a pot-size that leaves you no room to "learn" anything. Any reasonable, even "probe'ish type lead by you - you're looking at dumping 1/5th of your remaining stack. And of course a wise check on your part will be quickly followed by his c/b and your fold.

working backward...

- check/fold this flop
- fold PF to the reraise
- raise PF to t80-90ish

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...I like all the advice except for the "fold to the reraise" part.

For what is essentially a minraise, I am always getting implied odds on my set (and will still have a very manageable stack) Thats my thinking anyhow...Does anyone else feel that this is on the cusp of folding PF or do my implied odds always dictate a call? 10% rule etc...
Old 09-22-2005, 03:50 PM

I am not raising 4xbb and certainly not calling and 8xbb re-raise w/ TT... then you folded on one of the most favorable flops possible (except if you flopped a set). IMO, misplayed all the way.

I would have limped, called a 3xbb raise, folded to anything more pre flop. Unfortunately the flop is a potential death trap. I would bet the flop and see what villain did.

I doubt that flop helped villain. The question is does he have an over pair or over cards... I think it is more likely that he has over cards. A value bet on flop may provide this info, IMO.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Default While calling the rr pre might be technically correct . . .

Because of "implied odds", I do not like it because there is no guarantee that he will pay you off another 600 chips if you hit your set. There is probably a 25-33 percent chance he has aks and raised to define his hands, and also a chance he has 99, 88 etc. Thus, if the flop misses him, he may raise another 240 then fold to your over the top. To me, it is too speculative HU like that. I say save the valuable 120 for a better spot.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:06 PM

wow...no way I ever fold this PF when I am opening the action. even UTG...

I also disagree that villain has over cards a lot of the time. I am calling his PF reraise knowing that I am behind here...only AKs is a possibility in my mind, so I am ONLY calling for set value. I think he has JJ-AA 75% of the time in my expererience and I will stack him enough of the time when I hit to justify the call...but I think its close.

But I am seeing how I may be a bit loose overall given how much I diverge from the forum all of the time on these matters.