Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Turn Checkraise at Bellagio

Bellagio 30-60. Game is pretty good. I'm in the SB with 77. Two late position limpers (loose), I decide to raise, BB (Villian, solid but somewhat timid -in terms of raising, not nec mising bets- asian lady who prob pays off slightly more than she should) calls, others call. Four to the flop of 8-6-2 rainbow. I bet and only the BB calls. The turn is an offsuit 4. I check, she bets and I raise. She calls after a slight hesitiation. The river is another 8 for a final board of 8-6-2-4-8. I bet. Comments? Results later.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Turn Checkraise at Bellagio

i like every street...
if she raises river, do u call? (i prob would)
Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 PM

I think I'd call a river raise against a typical player in this game, but with her, I think I would dump to a river raise. This is one of the reasons I like my river bet against her (even though I'd bet the river just about all the time regardless)...I don't think she raises the river without trips or aces/kings up. She would never make a play like raising the river with a busted straight draw here in my experience. And I think if she did have a big pair, she would have raised me on the turn if she was going to play it unconventionally (ie. slow pre and on the flop).

Jeff
Old 12-16-2005, 07:12 PM

looks good, however i wouldn't call a river raise after what you've represented
Old 12-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Jeff-

I'm curious about this comment.
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd call a river raise against a typical player in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should fold against a typical player. Sure you can call against the most aggressive and tricky players, but I think folding most of the time is best. You've played your hand very aggressively and 77 is near the bottom of the range your opponent will have for you. Players raising the river after your line have it almost all the time. Imagine you had been bet into on the flop, checkraised on the turn, and bet into on the river. Would you expect your opponent to fold for one more bet?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 PM

Not sure how much I like the turn. The pot is reasonably large and she could make that pf call w/2 overs or a gutter + an over. I'd be very worred about giving freebes b/c your hand is so vulnerable. The way it worked out though, I think you played it perfectly
Old 12-17-2005, 01:32 AM

Good post, esp. for players that are straightforward. I did see more bluff raises on the river at that game in the five days I was there than I expected though (as well as raising the turn, betting the river and then simply mucking when called). Typically you're right though, lay it down against a player that isn't very tricky if raised on the end.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2005, 01:34 AM

I don't think I'm giving a freebie here very often b/c the way I've played my hand makes it looks like I'm just giving up with overs. So she should bet most hands when I check the turn.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2005, 01:36 AM

Default RESULTS and Thoughts

My opponent call and tabled pocket tens; her hand was good. I still like how I played the hand though for reasons listed above. She did consider laying the tens down on the turn and I think if the river is a big picture or ace, she would lay down to my continuation bet the vast majority of the time. On the river, if she has A6s or 55 or whatever and got there, she prob will check behind if I check. But she will call with these hands at that point. So I think the river raise has value, esp. if I'm willing to fold to a raise as I am against this opponent.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2005, 10:46 AM

She doesn't bet the turn if shes got a draw. She might not think you'll fold and a lot of players won't bet a draw solely based on the fact that you've shown weakness. I guess this is more of a player specific thing though and I trust you knew your opponent well enough to check the turn.