Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Prairie Meadows - Des Moines, IA

Played here last night cause I was in town and bored -

if you get a chance, the 1/2 NL game is fabulous - it got to the point where if I saw a flop with two cards below a 6 I'd fold cause I knew one of the 4 players who called my 30 buck raise would have flopped two pair or bottom set -

some good players but plenty of fish who coughed up $100 to cover my travel expenses to drive down and back.

Highly advised you go play there.

RB
Old 10-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Prairie Meadows - Des Moines, IA

[ QUOTE ]
Played here last night cause I was in town and bored -

if you get a chance, the 1/2 NL game is fabulous - it got to the point where if I saw a flop with two cards below a 6 I'd fold cause I knew one of the 4 players who called my 30 buck raise would have flopped two pair or bottom set -

some good players but plenty of fish who coughed up $100 to cover my travel expenses to drive down and back.

Highly advised you go play there.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

The limit games are just as soft, and 3/6 and 4/8 run 24/7. Fantastic games.

The good news about the 1/2NL game is that you'll know immediately if one of the 4 or 5 good players is in your game, and unless it's REALLY late there will be plenty of people dumping to you.

Going to be in town for long? Usually some live ones come in on Mondays for MNF - there might only be 3 NL games and 2-3 3/6 games, but they'll all be exceptional.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM

nope - already had to leave

I was there at midnight - three AM this morning. Actually, by the time I left, only the 1/2 NL and that 15/30 mixed game in the back were running - all the limit games busted and who was left came to 1/2 NL

I figured the good players were the ones who kept quoting Fahra and Daniel Negranu - LOL - but I could be off about that

RB
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, by the time I left, only the 1/2 NL and that 15/30 mixed game in the back were running - all the limit games busted and who was left came to 1/2 NL

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have more information on the 15/30 mixed game? How often does it run? What games are in the mix and how much action is there? Any information's greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 PM

I heard about a 10/20 hoe game on Saturday... Holdem, O, and O8... sounded pretty good, I'm gonna have to check it out. Are there many brown trout that play there?

Last I heard they were having trouble keeping the 15/30 HE game going much but now there are some 20/40 games on Wed. I think so not sure... fwiw, I play online and in home games the most.

PM me if anyone's interested in donking it up out there sometime.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 PM

There are various incarnations of the mixed games at PM - here's the lowdown as far as I know:

-They will only spread mixed games in the 'red chip' games. Johnny says this is due to 'state law' but more likely it's simply because only the 'regulars' ever play that high, and thus they can control when the game goes off.

-The most likely game is 15/30 HOE, in which many of the pot limit regulars will actually leave the table during the Hold'em round.

-They'll also sometimes do 10/20 HO rotation.

I've spent approximately 0 minutes in any of these games, but these are the ones you see running most often. The game is primarily populated by 'regulars' and some of the younger, 1/2NL crowd taking a shot up. Neither of those descriptions should automatically be scary to you.

But yeah - we're there about 2x a week, drop a PM if you have more specific questions or want to donk around - or if you have some info on good home games, it's been a touch stagnant in central IA lately.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Out of curiosity, has Prairie Meadows driven the cardroom in Tama out of business?

thx
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity, has Prairie Meadows driven the cardroom in Tama out of business?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tama is still going, although not nearly as strong - whereas before you could almost always count on having 2-3 4/8 HE, 2 1-5 stud and a 4/8 o/8 half-kill game going, in addition to higher HE games and occasionally a PL game, now you'll be lucky to even get a stud game - mostly 2/4 HE and 4/8 when they get it (although the 4/8 is full-kill).

PM has essentially driven out the card room at Lakeside (now Terrible's), though - although it always sucked, I've heard that now the 'poker area' has been changed to 2 random tables, and that usually they're both empty with a dealer sitting and waiting. It's very Robert Frost.