Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Retooling (kinda long)

I don’t know about anyone else, but I go through this periodically. I’m in a funk and I’m not completely sure why. When I look at my life, I think yea, yea I’m really doing pretty much what I want to do. But I’m not doing any of it as well as I could or should be. Like Mitch Robbins said, “I’m not going to find a different job. I’m just going to do this one better.”

So anyway things like this seem to work better if you write them down someplace so here it is. This is not in order of priority.

1. My health-related activities have been irregular over the past year or so. I run and work out inconsistently, which is less than what I’ve been used to in the past. I’m not in bad shape, but not exactly where I want to be either. I’m usually a lot happier when my body works the way I want it to.

2. Do my job better. Part of it is all the time I spend on 00T so I’ll be cutting way back on my posting frequency, something that will make some of you very happy. I also just haven’t been getting things done because I haven’t really taken the time to make myself care to. I’m changing that.

3. I really like playing that unmentioned game at least a few of us here play. I quit playing limit awhile back because I really enjoyed no-limit and found out I was terrible at both when I switched back and forth. But I’ve decided I want to be more serious about this and I think it’s time for a change so I’m thinking of making that switch again. I’ll probably be spending quite a bit more time in the strategy forums. I actually lurk there now. But I may even post there occasionally.

4. I’m going to be a better person to my friends. I’ve been pretty selfish. As an example, last night I was talking to someone and realized I was doing something that’s not very nice. I’ve been saying things to people, mostly just making very unfunny jokes, w/o considering that the jokes themselves were about things that are pretty annoying. Actually the joke was described as “unnecessary” and it was. This was a bad habit I was in years ago. I had broken myself of it at one point, but started doing it again awhile back and I’m not sure why.

5. Cut back on my drinking. I'm convinced part of my current funk is caused by drinking too much. And the drinking to much has been caused by the funk. I haven't been drinking a lot, but it has been frequent. It's anaesthetic quality is attractive, but it just temporarily treats the symptoms and when I drink too much, I just make an ass of myself. I do that enough w/o the alcohol.

6. Last but not least is definitely my kids. I’m a good dad, but I want to be better. I’ll spend more time with them. I’ll do more things with them. I’ll find more patience and be more consistent.

I think if I focus on just those few things, I’ll be much happier and make other people happier too.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Retooling (kinda long)

Good luck with that.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 AM

hope you're doing this for yourself and not to impress someone
Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] No one is ever going to make 20,000. Good luck though.

Mack
Old 09-27-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hope you're doing this for yourself and not to impress someone

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not really sure why you would say that. i'm doing it because i've been in a funk and that's not good for me. some of the recent threads from other people about sitting at home drinking, etc have kind of hit home for me. not that i'm like that, but i just realized i'm in a kind of rut and want to make myself happier.

edit: thanks for the concern. it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. an astute observation even if unfounded.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] No one is ever going to make 20,000. Good luck though.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I had planned to retire the ID at 19,999 anyway.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM

Fitter,
happie,
more productive.

not drinking too much,
regular exercise at the gym
(3 days a week),
getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries ,
at ease,
eating well
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 AM

Good luck Jake. Sounds like you thought it all out and got yourself a plan. Writing it down does increase the chances for success.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:30 AM

Good luck Jake. Cutting back the drinking is probably a very good idea, especially since you have kids. You don't want to put them through the strain of having a grouchy, unpredictable, slow, or eventually even ailing parent. And no matter what you do or how you feel about it, you're always an exapmle for your kids, good or bad. They'll probably grow up to be like you in a lot of ways, so you don't want that to be something you feel bad about.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck Jake. Cutting back the drinking is probably a very good idea, especially since you have kids. You don't want to put them through the strain of having a grouchy, unpredictable, slow, or eventually even ailing parent. And no matter what you do or how you feel about it, you're always an exapmle for your kids, good or bad. They'll probably grow up to be like you in a lot of ways, so you don't want that to be something you feel bad about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I don't drink that much anyway. I only drink 1-2 a day so it's not like I'm some sloppy drunk or setting bad examples or anything. I just think it's better for me.