Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 AM

Default proably done before but suggestion for HOH 3

Just finished HOH vol. 2 and saw the promo for volume three. Since it is supposed to be a purely hand quiz book I would like to suggest to all involved that the answers be serperated from questions by at elast a blank page and perferably a page of notes for the reader to write in their answer. While I have no doubt this book will improve my abilities exponentially I think this feature would make it even more helpful since the reader would theoretically not be able to see the answer as they choose thiers.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: proably done before but suggestion for HOH 3

A programmed approach might work well:

You are dealt AA UTG. What do you do?

A. Raise 3x BB.
B. Call the BB.
C. Fold out of turn.

If your answer is A, go to page 125.
If your answer is B, go to page 127.
If your answer is C, go to volume 1, page 1.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A. Raise 3x BB.
B. Call the BB.
C. Fold out of turn.

If you choose to go into the cave and fight the dragon, go to page 92.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 AM

"Choose Your Own Adventure"... I love it!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:31 PM

One thing I would like to see, are some hands involving multiple all-in later in the tournament and those involved have 6-12BB stacks.

Say player A has 6bb and pushed, player b had 12BBs and reraises all-in you are on the button or the BB with AK and have 10BBs. What if you have 18-20bbs?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:26 PM

Other options
1. print the problems on the right-hand page (I've forgotten the technical term) and answer page on the back of each problem page -- upside down

2. Short answers can be put footnotes at the bottom of the following page, Spelling cards out in lowewr case text, (ace of spades rather than AS or A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] would keep them from jumping out at you from the footnotes

3. Putting all the answers at the end of the chapter is probably simpler, but I'm a fast reader and I've always had a problem with accidentally "reading ahead" to later answers.

Then again, most 2+2 readers have already stocked up on paper clips and Post-it tab markers
Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 PM

Since most of these suggestions would result in the book being huge, how about you guys just use your hand to cover up the next paragraph, it has worked well for me while reading SSH, HOH1 & HOH2.

And if you feel you need to write notes etc, you can simply use a notepad.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Hand index please

I would really like to see a hand index in the back sorted by pair, broadway, suited connectors, suited semi-connectors, connectors and off-suit.

AA p12, 19
KK p4, 67
QQ p33, 36
JTs p22, 24
Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A. Raise 3x BB.
B. Call the BB.
C. Fold out of turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting idea. It sounds good, but what would be the point? If it's purely for entertainment and not instruction, fine. Otherwise, separating out the various potential paths through a hand into discrete parts probably does a disservice to the student. Thinking about the hand as a whole, and what might happen later on if you choose Y instead of X (thinking ahead, evaluating several possibilities at once), is a huge part of winning higher level poker. Besides, it would be tough to allow a very valid answer like, "bet out about 3/4 of the time, otherwise go for a check-raise."

Anyway, my main point for writing. The quiz-style instruction like this doesn't work very well in book form, for various reasons; space, answers visible to the reader during the question, etc.

But, it seems like this type of thing would work great as computer software. All the hand quizzes could be presented in order, stopping at each decision. The table diagrams (a great feature in the HoH's) could be shown with live player actions (A folds, then B folds, then C raises to 150, action on you with KQs, choices A B C or D).

A user could flag certain problems to come back to later, progress could be tracked, the software could "score" your answers too, but that probably would work out poorly.

Hmm...

I'm not necessarily talking about HoH specifically, although those hand quizzes would work great. I bet software like this would have already come out if it wasn't for copyright/piracy issues.

Hell, even just having a copy of poker books in pdf or some other searchable format would be great. Doubtful to ever happen, for the same reasons.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM

WOW...i really really like the idea of a choose your own adventure poker book. 2+2 should jump on that right away!