Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Frustrating Mistake, but could it have been played anyway?

Well, last night, I made a mistake that I've never done before, and I was rather upset when it happened(particularly at myself, but at the situation overall).

Tonight at a B&M tourney. $25 buy-in (T1500)with unlimited re-buys (T1000)first hour, you can rebuy whenever you have 1500 or less chips, So almost everybody starts out rebuying to start with 2500 in chips (I did as well.)

So there are two guys at the table who were going all-in in the dark the first 3 hands. One guy continues to do so. Its the 6th hand, and the one guy who has continued to do so (has me covered as he tripled up the previous hand) I look down to 77, so I decide to call. Everybody else folds so its heads-up. The dealer says "alright guys, go ahead and put the cards up here" and I lightly toss my cards and one of them landed on its corner and barely touched one card that was considered to be in the muck, the hand was clearly visible the entire time it did not flip over or anything.
"well, that hands dead, doesn't even matter now, so do you want to rebuy buddy?"

I was in destructive mode tilt at that point and not even remotely in the mood to play cards anymore, so I left and went and lifted to relieve some stress, now just sharing the experience.

Now my question about this is, I know that the mistake was my fault, and not the dealers, but could the hand have been played out anyway? The thing that got me thinking about this was Robert's Rules and this quote

[ QUOTE ]
Cards thrown into the muck may be ruled dead. However, a hand that is clearly identifiable may be retrieved at management’s discretion if doing so is in the best interest of the game. We will make an extra effort to rule a hand retrievable if it was folded as a result of false information given to the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case the hand was clearly identifiable,so could playing that hand out could be considered "the best interest of the game" being that the hand was "headsup" and was an all-in?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Frustrating Mistake, but could it have been played anyway?

absolutely think that should not be a dead hand and if a house rules otherwise i leave
Old 06-09-2005, 12:37 PM

I left, I was so pissed, I was tilted hardcore at that point, and playing cards was definitely not in my best interest.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
absolutely think that should not be a dead hand and if a house rules otherwise i leave

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have called that ruling bullshit too.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 PM

Clear mistake by the house/floor/whoever.
There is no logical reason not to let the hand play out.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if that is the overall consensus, or if we're in the minority on this opinion? It'd be interesting to see more people post.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if that is the overall consensus, or if we're in the minority on this opinion? It'd be interesting to see more people post.

[/ QUOTE ]

either the dealer is a total prick, or no offense but OP pissed him off. It's weird to "lightly flip" cards and have them end up touching the muck, I guess depending on where you're sitting. I'm thinking if you were in mega-tilt mode you might have thrown them a little harder than you thought.

i'm curious what the all-in guy had. I'm guessing a bigger pair.

dealer is still a tool. did you call the floor over? if not that was your biggest mistake.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 PM

F-ing BS ruling. You should have called the floor over and taken a shot. You quoted Robert's Rules correctly. In the spirit of fair play, letting the hand continue is the only right thing to do.

BTW - really nice move leaving and going to the gym. That's the sign of a real player - knowing when NOT to play sometimes (as well as having a healthy way to deal with anger).
Old 06-09-2005, 02:59 PM

You absolutely should have called the floor. I know I would have.

-Yarney
Old 06-09-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

either the dealer is a total prick, or no offense but OP pissed him off. It's weird to "lightly flip" cards and have them end up touching the muck, I guess depending on where you're sitting. I'm thinking if you were in mega-tilt mode you might have thrown them a little harder than you thought.

i'm curious what the all-in guy had. I'm guessing a bigger pair.

dealer is still a tool. did you call the floor over? if not that was your biggest mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'll set the scene, the table is pretty crowded (12 people at the table) and I'm sitting directly to the dealers right. Let me clarify that I was NOT on tilt at the time of the call, but rather after the ruling the hand was dead. When I go to toss the cards out there, I am tossing them towards the center of the table (so the other player could see as well, he was sitting in the #2 seat) when I put the cards out there one of them landed corner/edge first and did a slight bounce/cartwheel and stayed face up the entire time and landed on a card or two that was in the muck. As soon as that happened dealer noted that the hand was dead and that it didn't matter anymore. There was another guy at the table who is a dealer there, but not working at the time and was like (I'm sorry about that Kyle, thats a simple mistake.) So I was just like "whatever, fine" and got up and left, I didn't even look to see what the other player had, I'll be able to find out probably tonight, as I know the guy who was going all in in the dark and up against in the hand. (he sometimes plays in my homegame, and we've played lots of times before together).

I do not see how I could have upset the dealer at all, I'm a frequent player at the cardroom, I tip well, and in this instance it was the 6th hand overall in a tourney. I had folded the previous 5 hands.