Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 03:16 PM

Default AQ with scary board

villian is 22/4 and very aggressive post flop (PFA=8)

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (10 handed) converter

CO ($7.8)
Button ($23.15)
SB ($17.54)
BB ($29.1)
UTG ($13.5)
UTG+1 ($10.55)
UTG+2 ($24.75)
MP1 ($25.3)
MP2 ($33.4)
Hero ($79.44)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($4.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.

Turn: ($10.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($12.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

Final Pot: $24.25

I'm interested in what to do on the turn/river. That he called my flop raise and then bets out on the turn threw me a little. I was worried that he had the straight/set and was milking me. Should I have raised again? On the river I figured he probably had me, but with 3:1 and top two I was hoping he had AK or some such.

I realize some of you might say to raise more on the flop. I felt that if he was folding, he'd do it to a $3 bet just as easily as a $5 bet and figured it was smarter to keep the pot small if he stayed in.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: AQ with scary board

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to $0.75

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me that was a misclick.

I'll take the same line as you on the flop/turn/river. I don't want to get too involved in this hand after he calls the flop raise, but I don't want to leave it for such small bets.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:27 PM

I think this was played rather well.

The only thing I could mention is that 3xBB raises preflop at Party 25NL tends to do absolutely nothing. To clear the field out at this level, I tend to spike a preflop raise to up near $2. Yes, it's considerably higher than a normal preflop raise, but it gets the job done.

Flop: Even though this is a scary board, I don't see the SB having reraised you preflop with KJ. I think you're ahead here with your two pair. A set is possible, but at this level I wouldn't give these guys enough credit to make any sort of laydown based on that read.

Turn and river seem standard to me.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero raises to $0.75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

actually no, that was my intended bet. I don't do it often from that position, but throw one in there randomly for kicks. Also, I knew UTG/UTG+1 would probably call and then fold the flop if they didn't hit a monster, I made half of my stack that session from isolating those two and bullying them postflop.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:31 PM

it was party PL not NL. 3xBB tends to be a stronger bet in PL (at least that's my experience)
Old 03-13-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Hero raises to $0.75

[/ QUOTE ]

actually no, that was my intended bet. I don't do it often from that position, but throw one in there randomly for kicks. Also, I knew UTG/UTG+1 would probably call and then fold the flop if they didn't hit a monster, I made half of my stack that session from isolating those two and bullying them postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising is fine, but not 3xBB.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:40 PM

how much then? Remember this is PL.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:42 PM

the pot...
Old 03-13-2005, 03:55 PM

With a two flush on the flop and 3 to Broadway I will raise at least the pot, possibly more if it puts a player all-in.

Now he checks the turn to you, you push.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Since you were in a later position with a good hand, but no top pair, I think it was good to go ahead and do your preflop raise. If you would call with it anyways, you may as well do the betting to drive out any lower straight/flush draws. Maybe even some lower pairs.

However when I flop top 2 pair, I like to raise more since there are fewer hands left in, your's is probably the best.

Plus if I was your opponent and had KJ or even J8 PF, I wouldn't raise roughly the pot limit -suited or not-. I would call. Maybe that's just me, but I would. I would place him on AK like you did or at best (for him) ATs until the turn. But at the turn if I just made my boat with A's and T's I wouldn't bet $1. I'd either try a check raise or bet a higher value than that, so I would prolly consider this hand out. Same thing for pocket A's / Q's. I wouldn't bet $1 (4x BB yeah but 1/10th pot). I think your AK or AJ would be the most probable hands to place him on. It would then be proper to call on the river because you have nothing to gain by raising.

Only thing different would be that I would have raised on the Turn instead of just calling.

Also... if I had AK on the flop and someone raised, I'd call cause I have TPTK. If I bet 4xBB on the turn and they only called, I wouldn't think that they had me beat, so I would raise largely on the river. I would think that they have an A too but with a worse kicker.