Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 03:20 PM

Default AA UTG limp -> reraise attempt gone wrong

First time poster long time reader here! I was hoping to get some feedback on how I played this hand. Any comments are welcome.

First some background info on the tournament.
Live rebuy & addon tournament with 50+10 euro buyin and 1 hour rebuy period
Starting chips: 300
Rebuy: 300 chips for 50 euros
Addon: 600 chips for 50 euros
Roughly 50 players attended
Levels: 30min (5/10,10/20,20/40,30/60 and so on)

I was sitting tightly with 1k in chips which was probably a bit less than the average stack when the rebuy period ended and blinds went up to 20/40. My table image was very tight+passive because of the fact that I hadn't got a single playable hand yet and figured the tiny blinds weren't worth stealing. At the first deal after rebuy period I'm dealt AA UTG. This is how it went trough:

I decide to limp with my AA UTG in hopes of someone raising behind me. Instead, I get only MP and SB limper making the pot 4-way.

Flop comes:
Q72 2 clubs (I'm not holding a club)
SB & BB checks and I bet 100 into a pot of 160(obviously too small bet considering the flush draw possibility?). The MP limper who had me easily covered calls alongside with BB. I'm thinking there must be atleast one flush draw out there and maybe one TPGK holder who for some reason only called my bet.

Turn is 2 (not a club)
BB checks I bet 300 into a pot of 460 chips. To my surprise MP minraises to 600 and BB folds quickly. I shove the rest of my stack in as I had already over 40% of my stack commited and not really believing that second deuce could have had made any difference. MP calls the tiny all-in reraise and flips over 92o. I get no help on river.

I obviously misplayed on flop not betting enough, but was the flop bet really too little to get bottom pair out? What do you think of MP-limpers play? How do you usually play AA postflop when nobody falls on the limp+reraise trap preflop? Did the implied odds justify MP-limpers flop call because he must have figured I can't put him on a deuce? It was really hard to put him on a deuce because he hadn't shown any garbage hands before.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: AA UTG limp -> reraise attempt gone wrong

cards happen, if he was calling a bet with 92 there, then he would have paid you off with a wiiiiide variety of hands that you beat
Old 09-16-2004, 03:25 PM

That's the risk you take by not raising pre-flop, you get trash rag hands that run you down in multi-way pots. Also you prob could of gotten the eventual winner to fold with a more aggressive flop raise.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:37 PM

This is the exact reason why I have a postit note on my computer screen that says, "ALWAYS RAISE BIG HANDS, EVEN UTG!" To keep situations like this from happening, because the odds of you laying down AA with only 3 clubs on the board is 0.