Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: JJ - agonizing river fold

Seeing as how you don't have a strong hand and you might be put to a tough test on the river, I think checking this turn is the right play.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing as how you don't have a strong hand and you might be put to a tough test on the river, I think checking this turn is the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. How much of a bet would you call on the turn?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 PM

Half a pot. In my experience people will bet flush draws if you check the turn, but tend to bet them lightly. I agree with Xorbie that checking the turn is the correct play. You must call this river if you're going to check it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:47 PM

This might get flamed for being "weak," but I c/f the turn most times here. He called a preflop raise without reraising with no other callers, so I figure him for big cards (normally AK, AQ, or KQ). He might have 10-10 or 9-9, but who knows. More times than not he has the queen when he calls the flop bet, I think. And even if he doesn't have the queen, he's probably got a lot of outs. The reality is that your hand is very marginal at this point. You have a caller on the flop who has position on you; there's a queen overcard; and there are two draws (though I would think only the FD is likely). Even if you have the best hand, it's going to be very difficult for you to play it profitably. So I just c/f the turn. No reason to put a lot more money in here.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM

And I wouldn't feel bad about folding the best hand here either. I couldn't care less. I'm c/f the turn here thinking that I'm folding the best hand probably half the time. But I also fold pocket twos to a preflop raise thinking I'm folding the best hand plenty of times...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:38 PM

i say he is playing a week queen. your check on the river basically told him u dont have it. so he made a bet on river.is he a guy who would call about a pot size bet on flop and pot on turn for a draw?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM

out of position JJ. i would check/fold it on flop once in awhile. but i like the flop bet. the way u played it, you have to block bet the river.

also if i pot flop, i am check/folding turn.