Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Best Game Platform For Young Children?

The grandparents have offered to buy a video game platform for my kids. While I don't know that we'll even allow this to happen yet, I'm curious as to what system would be the best for a 6 year old. Obviously I'm looking at games like Pac Man or other non violent, kid oriented programs. I'd really like to get some help here as I'm completely clueless. I do all my gaming on a PC and don't know diddly squat about the XBox, PS2, etc. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Best Game Platform For Young Children?

[ QUOTE ]
The grandparents have offered to buy a video game platform for my kids. While I don't know that we'll even allow this to happen yet, I'm curious as to what system would be the best for a 6 year old. Obviously I'm looking at games like Pac Man or other non violent, kid oriented programs. I'd really like to get some help here as I'm completely clueless. I do all my gaming on a PC and don't know diddly squat about the XBox, PS2, etc. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife and I decided our kids would have video games when they bought them for themselves. The best game platform for kids is still the backyard IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I decided our kids would have video games when they bought them for themselves. The best game platform for kids is still the backyard IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for the most part which is why I haven't decided if we'll even go this route. It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. We actually lived in St Louis when we made the decision...still not quite Minn. Regardless, it seems like you got enough hesitancy about having it at all, so that if you do, you'd limit usage to something reasonable. The couch potato generation just makes me nuts.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. We actually lived in St Louis when we made the decision...still not quite Minn. Regardless, it seems like you got enough hesitancy about having it at all, so that if you do, you'd limit usage to something reasonable. The couch potato generation just makes me nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I have a strong attraction to computer/video games so it's probably in their blood. Fortunately I also love basketball, hockey, etc. so they should have a pull toward activities. Finding the right balance will be a constant challenge but there will be limits on games, not on activities.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:07 PM

Nintendo has usually aimed at more non-violent games than the others. That might be changing, but I would suspect it is the way to go.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:08 PM

I'll second that. PS2 and Xbox are very geared towards older, more violence-hungry gamers, at least moreso than gamecube.

N64

Nintendo gamecube
Old 12-06-2004, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nintendo gamecube

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, that's what I meant to say.