Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Dog Track Question

5 friends and I were at a dog track a few weeks ago. Everyone was doing their own thing, betting whatever pleased them, but when it was almost time to take off, we each threw in $10 in order to do a $1, 5-dog trifecta box, which costs $60. When we looked at the sheets, we noticed this was the first half of the twin-tri.

We went to the window and were told that if we hit the first half, we'd get cash, and we'd also get a ticket to put in for the second half of the twin tri. Excellent - this extra ticket seemed like a great bonus.

Needless to say, we hit. We had 5 out of 8 dogs, and it wasn't even close. The 3 dogs we didn't have were way behind, and we were all excited and thought we had something good.

We brought the ticket to the window, and it paid $36, along with the other ticket.

That sorta sucked, but at least we get another shot at the twin tri, which if I remember from the last time I was at the track (5 years ago) pays a boatload of money.

OK, which 5 dogs should we pick now?

Apparently we only got to pick 3 dogs, and we had to pick them in EXACT order.

Needless to say, we didn't hit and were a little bit down from the experience.

Does any of this sound incorrect?

And my real question: the $36 we got for the trifecta we hit (first half of twin tri), was this number exceptionally low because it is part of the twin tri and they always just pay out a little, since most of the money goes to the guy who hits both ends, or was it a low payout because favorites won and that's just what was paid out for this particular trifecta?

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Dog Track Question

[ QUOTE ]
And my real question: the $36 we got for the trifecta we hit (first half of twin tri), was this number exceptionally low because it is part of the twin tri and they always just pay out a little, since most of the money goes to the guy who hits both ends, or was it a low payout because favorites won and that's just what was paid out for this particular trifecta?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant answer for the dog track.... but my local horse track use to have the twin tri. There never use to be a payout for the first leg of the twin tri... so consider yourself lucky [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Im guessing that it was a low payout because of both of the reasons you stated.

Just a heads up about twin tris... at most tracks the twin tri prize pool must be payed out on the last day of the season. This is a great +EV bet if there has been a large twin carry over.

regards
cub
Old 03-29-2004, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently we only got to pick 3 dogs, and we had to pick them in EXACT order.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you box them. Tho I really don't think these longshots are the way to go in horse/dog racing, but if you're gonna do it, box them for gods sake!

al
Old 03-30-2004, 03:59 PM

The local horsetrack here used to offer this bet.

Half the money wagered (after the state and track's huge takeout percentage) on the first trifecta is put toward the carryover pool, the remaining half is then distributed toward winners of the first half.

Essentially, you paid $1 per combo to hit a .50 trifecta.
With the added benefit of 1 chance to hit the second half exactly.

To provide enough tickets for you to box 3 dogs in the second half, you would have had to wager $360 on your 5 dog box to give you 6 exchange tickets.

The local track replaced this with a Tri-Super, where the first half was a Trifecta paying half, with an exchange ticket to a superfecta where you had to hit the first 4 in exact order.

Unless you had both races handicapped extremely well, the bet was tough to cut down to a manageable level.

I usually only played it on the days where the track was forced to award to the carryover pool, since you did not have to be as exact to hit the second half.

Gewürtztraminer
Old 04-02-2004, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Dog Track Question..

shoulda bet 5-7-1 on part two of twin tri

gl [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 03:49 PM

But in this situation he can't box them. He got a ticket that allowed him to play one, and only one, combination on the second half. A box is equal to 6 combinations.