Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Ever had your play criticized by the dealer?

Playing 2/4 at the Bike, and getting reamed; no cards, no successful draws, mucho suckouts when I do get something, so I'm not in the best of moods.

I'm in SB and dealer deals me Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but he fumbles the deal and the second card flips back up his arm. After I get the card, the player to my right says that he saw my card. He replaces the J with a 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Mistakes happen (I had this happen with pocket aces one time), and I didn't get too upset.

I guess I did have a little scowl on my face because the next hand the dealer says something about "this guy looks mean" so I say I'm just tired and make some lame joke, the table laughs, I smile. I make small talk about how he's left handed, he says they just started letting him deal left-handed, yadda yadda yadda, and everything is peachy.

Anywho, next hand I'm on the Button and I get K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Decent UTG, average UTG+1, and a LAG middle position player see the flop with me.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

LAG bets but he has bet at EVERY flop he's been in if checked to him, so nobody believes him and we all call.

Turn is a rag

Checked around (LAG always bets the flops and checks the turn if he has nothing)

River brings a rag.

Checked to me, and I bet. Everyone calls. UTG shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and takes down the small pot.

UTG had been moderately aggressive all night, so I was a bit surprised he didnt bet the river when it was pretty clear no flushes were out.

In hindsight, I don't like the way I played this. I play K5s on the Button because I credit myself with being able to get away from the hand if I miss. When LAG bet at the pot I should have let the other two guys play sheriff.

Anyway, as the dealer pushes the massive 8BB pot over to UTG he says to UTG and UTG+1, "After about the hundredth time you play a high card with no kicker and get beat... you'll stop playing them."

I was a bit peeved that he jacked up my previous hand, and that I'd been taking a beating all night, so I kept my mouth shut for fear of overreacting and blowing up at the dealer. I didn't even think it was worth calling over the floorman and asking him to instruct the dealer not to give his personal opinions about the cards the players played. I didn't feel like explaining that K5s from the Button was a better hand than K9o UTG. I didn't bother telling the dealer that his job was to deliver the cards, and the next time LAG played 96o against me he'd better not tell the guy he's playing crap cards. I just said to myself 'he'll never get another tip from me.'
Old 02-29-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Ever had your play criticized by the dealer?

I just said to myself 'he'll never get another tip from me.'

This is a good idea, but I would have considered telling him that he's never getting another tip from me.

-- Homer
Old 02-29-2004, 06:19 PM

He may have been criticizing the UTG players. Anyway, I've had comments on my play when I was just learning and in retrospect, the comments were both correct and I was bing a wuss.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 2/4 at the Bike, and getting reamed; no cards, no successful draws, mucho suckouts when I do get something, so I'm not in the best of moods.

I'm in SB and dealer deals me Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but he fumbles the deal and the second card flips back up his arm. After I get the card, the player to my right says that he saw my card. He replaces the J with a 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Mistakes happen (I had this happen with pocket aces one time), and I didn't get too upset.

I guess I did have a little scowl on my face because the next hand the dealer says something about "this guy looks mean" so I say I'm just tired and make some lame joke, the table laughs, I smile. I make small talk about how he's left handed, he says they just started letting him deal left-handed, yadda yadda yadda, and everything is peachy.

Anywho, next hand I'm on the Button and I get K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Decent UTG, average UTG+1, and a LAG middle position player see the flop with me.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

LAG bets but he has bet at EVERY flop he's been in if checked to him, so nobody believes him and we all call.

Turn is a rag

Checked around (LAG always bets the flops and checks the turn if he has nothing)

River brings a rag.

Checked to me, and I bet. Everyone calls. UTG shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and takes down the small pot.

UTG had been moderately aggressive all night, so I was a bit surprised he didnt bet the river when it was pretty clear no flushes were out.

In hindsight, I don't like the way I played this. I play K5s on the Button because I credit myself with being able to get away from the hand if I miss. When LAG bet at the pot I should have let the other two guys play sheriff.

Anyway, as the dealer pushes the massive 8BB pot over to UTG he says to UTG and UTG+1, "After about the hundredth time you play a high card with no kicker and get beat... you'll stop playing them."

I was a bit peeved that he jacked up my previous hand, and that I'd been taking a beating all night, so I kept my mouth shut for fear of overreacting and blowing up at the dealer. I didn't even think it was worth calling over the floorman and asking him to instruct the dealer not to give his personal opinions about the cards the players played. I didn't feel like explaining that K5s from the Button was a better hand than K9o UTG. I didn't bother telling the dealer that his job was to deliver the cards, and the next time LAG played 96o against me he'd better not tell the guy he's playing crap cards. I just said to myself 'he'll never get another tip from me.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the way I see it, the dealer's right, but that isn't the point. Tell him to keep his fng mouth shut next time and when he learns how to deal, then maybe he can start critiquing your play (which he should NEVER do btw).

Anyway, you did play the hand like sh&%^t. Either raise the flop after the LAG or fold, probably knock UTG out with a flop like that.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:52 AM

Wow, that dealer was way out of line. I've never had a dealer criticize my play. I've had a couple discuss my play and even compliment me but never while they were dealing to me.

SpaceAce
Old 03-01-2004, 01:44 AM

I'll forgive occasional mistakes but a dealer should never, never, never, ever do this. If you want PM me with the dealer's name (I work at the Bike as Royal Section Host). I'll discuss it with him privately and hopefully he won't make the mistake again.

With your permission I can also show this post to our dealer trainer Todd Bleak and he can discuss the seriousness of the problem in the classes he started a few months ago. Todd is really trying to do a good job and he would take this seriously.

~ Rick

Old 03-01-2004, 02:58 PM

The dealer is still being out of line. I don't want ANYONE coaching at a table, not the dealer, not other players. Unprofessional, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
He may have been criticizing the UTG players. Anyway, I've had comments on my play when I was just learning and in retrospect, the comments were both correct and I was bing a wuss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-01-2004, 03:09 PM

Dealer coaching is much worse. Players at least are paying. Dealers take money from the players, thus should not coach. I have had dealers say I play too tight and such and I don't like it. Other delaers have commented on the board in a way that has cost me. I either talk to them politely later or stiff them forever, depending on whether the dealer is somebody who can be talked to rationally.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 PM

I am a friendly guy at the table, even when I am down a nice chunk. I like a talkative table and a friendly dealer who talks. OTOH I cant stand dealers who talk about the game other than what they are supposed to say, and I hate when dealers stack the pot. I become a real A-hole when they do these 2 things (especially stacking at NL)!
Old 03-01-2004, 05:06 PM

Rick,
While I think it is courteous of you to ask before showing the post, it WAS made in a public forum...my opinion is that you should feel free to show it any and all people who could benefit from it. Better dealers make for better games!