Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2003, 05:21 PM

Default check-raised hand for review

Party Poker 50/100 10 + 1 Limit SNG (8 handed)
Hero has 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and is SB

EP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button limps, Hero limps, BB checks

Flop(5 SB): 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I almost never check-raise, but decided to go for it this time. I guess I'm paranoid of suck-outs, so my reason was to try to limit the field rather than build the pot. MP2 and the button have both shown a tendancy to steal the pot from late position, so I figured one of them would bet and my raise would get rid of anybody in between.

Hero checks, BB checks, EP1 folds, MP2 bets, Button folds, Hero raises, BB folds, MP2 3-bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls

Turn(6 1/2 BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, MP2 calls

River(8 1/2 BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls

MP2 bet and re-raised a Q55 board with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and rivered the flush.

Was check-raising a mistake on the flop? I was first to act and I didn't think one bet would chase any flush players away.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:41 AM

Default Re: check-raised hand for review

You played the hand fine, what you have is a classic case of someone who is unable to ditch a pocket pair with the hope that "maybe the next card will be it." This guy wasn't going anywhere, better luck next time.