Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-14-2003, 09:44 AM

Default Wuss out with TT in MP?

I sat down at a table with a maniac (Maniac#1) I've played with before (this guy sees 75% of his flops, and raises preflop 14% of the time) only to be joined a few orbits later by Maniac#2, who has seen 95% of his flops and raises 15% preflop.

Party 1/2. I'm dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP1.

Maniac#1 is UTG and limps. I raise. Folded to Maniac#2 on the button, who calls. Blinds fold and Maniac#1 calls. Surprisingly only three to the flop for 7.5SB

Flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG check, I Bet, B raises, UTG calls, I 3-bet (normally wouldn't), B calls, UTG caps (why check, then cold call, then cap?), we call.

Turn [8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I check (wuss?), B bets, UTG and I call

River [8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I check (wuss again?), B checks

UTG has J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
B has 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

They both had surprisingly playable hands, especially the OESD. I figured one of them for a flopped two pair or set, but they really could have had anything. (They both have raised and reraised like crazy with middle pair or gutshots.) Does that excuse not betting the turn or river? I made 12BB, but I probably could have gotten another 6BB or more out of them.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Wuss out with TT in MP?

how could you have gotten 6 more BB out of them? if you manage to get UTG to crying call the river, you can make maybe three more by check-raising the turn and betting the river. but this is a very expensive way to play when you're behind, and on this board and betting it is very easy to be behind. i think checking and calling is the way to go.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Wuss out with TT in MP?

These guys make Gus Hansen look weak-tight. I saw them many times keep capping (flop and turn) with gutshot draws or middle pair. I'm fairly confident that if I'd raised the turn it would have ended up capped and at least one of them would have seen the showdown if I bet or raised the river.

Against any other opponent(s) I would have check/called. But as you say, there was good chance I was behind on the turn regardless of their play style.

I considered betting the turn and calling it down if I was raised, but I figured the chance of being raised was almost 100% so it wouldn't have really told me anything (or forced anyone to fold)--just added variance.