Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Taking you to school.

This is a part of a poker school printed weakly in one of the largest daily papers in Sweden Aftonbladet. The article is written by Dan Glimme the resident poker expert and author of Pokerhandboken (The poker handbook.) and also expert commentator of a poker tournament aired on national TV in Sweden. A word of caution I translated this text it might not be 100% correctly translated but the facts and they way Glimme describes the hand is accurate.

Situation:

You called in the cutoff seat in a eight handed with TcTs after the second player raised and both blinds called.
Flop Qh9h8s
What do you do if A, it is checked to you? B, The action is check bet call to you?
Think carefully and analyse the situation!

Correct answer: Your pocket tens may have been a good starting hand, but now you are in a very weak position. It is very probable that you are up against an overpair ( for instance with A-Q or K-Q), or a straight draw (J-T), or a flush draw (Two hearts), or the worst case scenario all of the above.
In situation A when it is checked to you, you should just check and hope for a third ten.
In situation B against a bet and a call, you should simply fold – the combined odds against you are almost unconquerable. Don’t insist on continue with your mediocre pair, its almost guaranteed wasted money if you call.

I guess my biggest problem with this article which is published as a part of his poker school is that Mr Glimme doesn’t mention anything about what kind of game he is talking about nor anything about the opponents. Remember this article is printed in the sports pages of a daily newspaper and most readers are probably novice internet players, so maybe the advice would be correct for tougher games at higher stakes but for small stakes players like me playing 2-4 limit at party I find the correct answers appalling.

Any thoughts, Kristoffer
Old 12-27-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Taking you to school.

i agree with mr g.

i dont like the being the first cold caller from a raise in EP with a pair of tens but i digress.

so, you have coordinated flop missing you with nothing but a gutshot. with a bet and call on the flop, you cant be ahead here, maybe a coin flip at best.

situation A: take the free card.

situation B: see above.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:51 AM

JT isn't a straight draw, it's a straight. (This is a constant problem for Mr Glimne, he is unable to read even the most obvious straight. Straight-blindness is a problem in any poker player, especially an 'expert'.)

I don't think his preflop decision is the best here. If the raiser was on our immediate right a cold-call would often be best, as we can encourage more calls behind us. But here I really want to 3-bet or fold. Without the possibility of a multiway pot I want to punish someone who is a loose raiser, and avoid the tight raiser completely.

His flop decisions are correct as the hand played out. Now he leaves a rather gaping hole in his discussion, what to do if the turn blanks and it's checked to you again. Then you have to bet.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 AM

When playing small stakes its not uncommon that players raise with any ace and the blinds always call with any two cards including 62o, With only a q overcard I´d often bet in situation A there are eight bets in the pot and against many opponents there is a good chance I got the best hand. If called I could often take a free turn card and catch the blind taking a stab at the pot with 82o on the river.

And why hope for the ten when the jack most likely gives you the best hand?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 AM

The same reason you say you'll bet (there are 8 bets already in the pot) is the same reason your opponents will call. You have a better chance of cutting down the field if you wait for the turn. If a blank comes and it is checked to you, you have the best hand and can bet, or you can raise hoping to see a free showdown.
But if a heart or a straight card hits, you will have saved a bet. With four people in the pot, you have to give them credit for something, even if they are as bad as you say. You're looking at winning a small pot or losing a big one here.
Anyway, these decisions are easier with a reraise preflop, imo.