Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Default A HU hand. River play.

The dynamic of this HU match is a little interesting I think. I've been experimenting a lot with checkraising lots of flops but rarely 3-betting OOP preflop. We haven't had too many huge pots yet but there really haven't been many huge hands either. No gamebreakers yet.

That said, I still wasn't sure about this one -- especially on the river.

Villain (decent TAG) raises from the SB/Button. I call in the BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

The flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I checkraise, he calls.

The turn is the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet. He raises. I 3-bet. He caps. I call.

The river is the J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. What's my best play?

Rob
Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: A HU hand. River play.

Bet. His hand stinks like AK with the K of clubs. If he does have a flush then you pay only 2 bets to see a showdown. If he doesn't have a flush then he'll probably check behind you and you'll miss a bet.

Seeing how its HU, he could have a wide range of hands but its unlikely he'll bet/raise with 2 pair/set on such a scary board. As such, I don't see three betting an option and check calling is just too weak of a play with the circumstances.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:50 PM

Sounds like you are trying something out, but I'd usually 3-bet this preflop.

I'd check/call the river.

You have to show this down, but he very well could have a flush. If he is decent then I think if 2+ bets go in on the river the best you can hope for is a chop and that doesn't look good.

Plus, he may often bet for you with two pair or a set, etc... when your hand is good.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Something tells me to just check/call river. I feel so weak.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:58 PM

You've shown a lot of strength. Why would he cap the turn without the flush? I checkcall.

If he does have a set maybe he'll put you on A*K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] because of your previous preflop play and bet for you.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 AM

I actually think I c/r. His hand range is Kxc Qxc 5x A(xc) A-A 3-3 2-2 4-4 5-5, smaller flushes slightly discounted cuz I think most ppl 3 bet flop with them. Given the action, Axc AA 33 22 44 55 have to bet everytime, Kxc Qxc aren't calling this river with that turn action. I almost feel like spewing, but I think I have to c/r and call a 3 bet.