Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Default JJ in LP

I thought this was an interesting hand. Anyone have any problems with any of my lines? I had been raising a lot of pots pre-flop and taking down small pots after the flop without showing my cards. I had also made a few c-bets and folded to min raises a few times

I think I played it correctly on all streets, but I thought this hand might provoke some interesting discussion.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($10.65)
UTG+1 ($27.75)
MP1 ($29.95)
MP2 ($4.90)
MP3 ($18.70)
Snarky Hero ($31.90)
Button ($7.75)
SB ($12.20)
BB ($9.50)

Preflop: Snarky Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Snarky Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Snarky Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.85) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, Snarky Hero calls $1.

River: ($4.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Snarky Hero bets $3.5</font>...

Final Pot: $8.35
Old 12-18-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: JJ in LP

Any reasoning for checking the flop?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Bet flop. Raise turn. River is fine.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 PM

With the Q on board, your Jacks may be no good. Its cheaper to find out early, (although this hand is an exception with the river J).
Bet the flop; if raised reraise. If he still calls the reraise you are toast.
Alternately, raise his bet on the turn. If he calls hes got a hand. Play accordingly, as in limp it home as cheaply as possible, or just fold to a large bet.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Bet the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:31 PM

Bet flop, raise turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:46 PM

Raise turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:18 PM

Default My Take

Pre-Flop Action: No one seems to have a problem with the size of my raise. JJ is a strong hand in the CO and I wanted to get max value for it.

Flop: That is not a good flop for me for a variety of reasons. I am either WB/WA of any holding that villian might have which he'll put money in the pot with. Although his check says weakness, who knows what it really means. I don't have any specific reads on villian and I have an agressive table image. He might be checking to me hoping that I'll bet so he can raise. Checking that flop takes advantage of his weakness and does not allow him to push me off the best hand with a re-raise. If I build a pot with a flop bet and then he leads a non-jack the turn, I've got to let my hand go.

Turn: People think I should have raised the turn, since I showed weakness on the flop and now villian is trying to bluff. I don't think I actually showed weakness on the flop and villian is making a mistake by betting into me with a bluff. I haven't defined by hand except for a PF raise of 5xBB. His $1 bet is a bet into the dark. He might want me to re-raise him so he can fold and he might just want me to go away. By calling, I am doing neither of the things he wants. If he is value betting, a call keeps the pot sized small. Since he'll interpret my flop check as weakness, there is a good possiblity that he is bluffing and thefore I should try to see a showdown as cheaply as possible.

River: The J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is a dream card for me. It completes a variety of possible holdings like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] that are possible but also gives me the likely best hand. Given how I played the hand, it is impossible for him to put me on jacks. If he has either a flush or AQ, he'll have to pay me off. Obviously, his failure to either call or re-raise my river bet shows that he had been bluffing throughout the hand.

In short, I got villian to bluff into the pot and he wouldn't have done that if I had led the flop. I kept the pot small when I wasn't sure of my strength and kept villian from bluffing me off the best hand. If he has held either AQ or a flush draw, I took advantage of his errors post flop and got myself in a situation where I could take his stack.

Villian folded and didn't show. He was bluffing and I doubt he would have called my flop bet.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: My Take

"I took advantage of his errors post flop and got myself in a situation where I could take his stack."

By hitting your 23-1 shot on the river? You gave him a chance to beat you for free with a very vunerable hand.

"Villian folded and didn't show. He was bluffing and I doubt he would have called my flop bet."

Thats why you bet the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: My Take

Yeah... and it made him a whopping 1$ extra