Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-17-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Flop the nuts

$1/$2 NL..6 max

I open for $8 in the cutoff with QJ of spades. Both blinds call. No read because I just sat down. I have $210 and they both have me covered.

Pot $24. Flop comes T98 with 2 clubs. The BB leads out for $8. I raise to $25 and they both call.

Pot $99. Turn Ad. BB leads again. This time for $10. Whats your play? Any real raise commits me so would you just shove it all in?

I have no read but my thought is that SB has the flush draw. BB, I have no idea. AT maybe?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Flop the nuts

raise pot on flop

turn is auto push
Old 12-17-2005, 02:59 PM

Raise the flop to $35.

Turn is an obvious raise. Go for $110 as played. Give them a glimmer of hope, but don't scare off the club draw.

Garland
Old 12-17-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop to $35.

Turn is an obvious raise. Go for $110 as played. Give them a glimmer of hope, but don't scare off the club draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fishies like to think they're all clever and will do stuff like bet their draws very small thinking you wont raise them and they'll be able to draw cheap. As if a ten dollar bet there will make you go "d'uh..?" and just call or something.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop to $35.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice is great, with regards to the flop raise you need to think about what a pot sized raise is here. On the flop yor are raising $17 into a $40 pot ($25 to sb) If small blind calls then the action to bb is to call $17 into a $65 pot. You are easily giving the odds to call for a flush draw for both players.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:32 PM

If I raise to $110 and the SB has the flush draw. It will be $110 to him with a $220 pot. Even if BB folds, SB is still getting 2-1 now and will surely get my other $60, so hes getting 2.5:1

Incorrect odds for him, but dont you think its not incorrect odds enough for me to willing to risk losing a pot thats already pretty big? If BB comes along then the SB is getting good odds for a monster pot

Im wondering if all in isnt better even if I knew for a fact that the SB had a flush draw.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect odds for him, but dont you think its not incorrect odds enough for me to willing to risk losing a pot thats already pretty big? If BB comes along then the SB is getting good odds for a monster pot

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand this... wouldn't you want him to put in a lot of $$ getting 2.5:1 on a 4:1 dog?

If this was HU and I was pretty sure he had a flush draw but would fold to a push, I'd make it $110, but given that there are 2 opponents I'd probably push.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I raise to $110 and the SB has the flush draw. It will be $110 to him with a $220 pot. Even if BB folds, SB is still getting 2-1 now and will surely get my other $60, so hes getting 2.5:1

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get one or both of the opponents to pay $110 on the turn. This would be a major EV coup for you. You should be more than happy to pay off your last $60 if they get "lucky". I don't want either of them to fold quite frankly. Even the donkiest of the donkeys are reluctant to call an overbet all-in with a draw with not even the slightest hint of a river pay-off.

Garland
Old 12-17-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Im wondering if all in isnt better even if I knew for a fact that the SB had a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming you are only playing for EV, give your opponent the worst possible odds that he will call. If u think he would call a push then thats awesome, if u think he will call $130 then good too. Place the odds on him calling each bet size with the EV of that bet. Then math it out.
I think this is a major thing overlooked in good poker players....being able to do relatively complex math problems in the 30 sec u have to make a decision.
Generally when players play bad in other areas of poker they also play bad in this area, the worse I feel my opponent is the more I bet here.