Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 02:43 PM

Default AKo simple i think

Villain is very new to table.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.66 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>
Old 12-10-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: AKo simple i think

my opinion is entirely contingent on your turn plan :P
Old 12-10-2005, 03:15 PM

You might be behind here, and you definetly arn't getting a better hand to fold. I really don't like this. The only thing that could possibly make up for it is if you take the free turn card, but even then I don't like it. Let him bluff at you with his worse hands, and if he checks any street, you can bet.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might be behind here, and you definetly arn't getting a better hand to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

what about getting value from worse hands, balancing his play with big pairs, and discouraging future shot-taking by keeping that flop aggro up?

going into call-down mode is good if villian is a complete LAG-tard, yes. however, i think a key component of successful SH metagame is making it hard for opponents to steal your initiative on the flop.

pound pound pound.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:49 PM

Yea, this is much of what I was thinking. I was about 90% sure that flop didn't do jack for him. He could have a flush draw, big overs, gutshot, or a pair. It's tough to put him on a range because the common person's stealing range from the CO is fairly large. I 3-bet to keep initiative, disquise my hand (as I would do this with many pairs as well), and fold out other 6-outers.

On the turn, I am betting most cards and calling a raise. If he raises I fold the river unimproved. Else I check behind the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:02 PM

i never play ak this aggressively, but i think i may start.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:06 PM

What about calling the flop, and raising the turn?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:14 PM

The thing about this board is that nobody expects you to fold anything- it misses so many hands that its not a good board to bluff at. I think he's got an edge on you too often for you to 3-bet here. Calling down is my play.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:34 PM

calling down (after the flop CR): 2.5 BB
3-betting the flop, betting the turn, checking the river UI (after the flop CR): 2 BB

you don't need to be overly concerned about getting CR'd on a 323 2 flush board here, but after you 3-bet him PF then 3-bet his flop CR he probably will be. even if he does have a PP your 3-bet probably slows him down, and therefore saves you 1 SB as opposed to calling down when you don't improve. if you do improve it possibly gains you 1 SB over calling down (if he calls your river bet when an A/K falls). there's a pretty good chance you have the best hand here. and then there's metagame. i don't always 3-bet here, but depending on your opponent i think it's sometimes the best way to go.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling down (after the flop CR): 2.5 BB
3-betting the flop, betting the turn, checking the river UI (after the flop CR): 2 BB

you don't need to be overly concerned about getting CR'd on a 323 2 flush board here, but after you 3-bet him PF then 3-bet his flop CR he probably will be. even if he does have a PP your 3-bet probably slows him down, and therefore saves you 1 SB as opposed to calling down when you don't improve. if you do improve it possibly gains you 1 SB over calling down (if he calls your river bet when an A/K falls). there's a pretty good chance you have the best hand here. and then there's metagame. i don't always 3-bet here, but depending on your opponent i think it's sometimes the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm convinced. Nice work. I doubt he's betting or raising again when he's behind, too, as long as you don't use this move too much.