Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Preflop with 88

[ QUOTE ]
Even snagging the 8, there are a good number of situations where you simply can't make up those bets.

A83 - when you're against non-ace overpairs and/or just overcards
KK8 - paralyzes PFR (maybe most paired boards)
any 4-straight
monotone flops

---

It's a tough hand and I hate releasing it, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

A83 stands a good chance of hitting one of the two preflop raisers. If one of them has AK/AQ, I can expect lots of bets to make up for those times the first guy has KQ and the second guy has JJ.

KK8 also has the bonus money aspect when I hit AK/KQ over the head with a sledge hammer. The same is true for AA8. QQ8 and lower may be a little different, but if you get down to 558, I expect the action to up again on average (because there are now more overpairs).

4-straights happen.

Monotone happens. But monotone flops will cut down on profit, but I'll still get action if villain holds the high flush card (A or K, sometimes Q). So I don't think villains will freeze up completely.

I wouldn't hate releasing it. If I saw a strong enough argument to convince me that it's not even close to profitable with four players already entering the pot, I'd happily release it.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What your counter-estimate be? (Remember that this is an 'average' guess, so you need to balance the times that you get bonus action and the times you get no action.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, firstly I think that it may be a little unreasonable to expect both of the early limpers to call a double bet cold preflop.

So I would reduce the estimated number of preflop bets to say about 10sb.

Then I would assume that it would be reasonable for both of the preflop raisers to call your flop raise if you made your set. So I would also estimate about 6sb for the flop.

However, I would reduce my estimated bets for the turn and river to say one caller. That would make my turn and river estimates about 2sb each.

Overall, that would total about 20sb, and make the preflop call unprofitable.

I admit though, that it looks closer than I at first thought, and that you would only need an extra call or raise here or there to give you profitable odds.

Having said that, we also need to remember that you will not win the pot everytime that you make your set, because sometimes you will be beaten by a straight, flush or better hand.

So I dont think that we should be over optimistic when considering the implied odds either.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM

I was thinking JJ/TT vs KK type of situations for A83. You probably get a bet from one of them and then you act after calling 3 cold and they both know they're beat.

I was originally thinking KK because AQs, QQ-TT are all in a world of hurt here. You're right, QQ8 is probably a better example of what I was getting at for the second case because they are more apt to miss.

Your monotone point is well taken, but there's a fair chance that there is no redraw for either player. PP is looking at 50% and suited overcards is 25% a made hand (where you're now a 2-1 dog). Assuming 3 players see the flop...

against 2 PP (~33%) - no redraw 25%, 1 redraw 50%, 2 redraws 25%
against 1 PP and 1 suited overs (~66%) -
no redraw 37.5%, 1 redraw 37.5% and no flush, 25% made flush
[Edit: I discounted the possibility of 2 suited overs on this hand with the PF action so far]
Looks like a combined 40% that you *could* get action but you're behind about 40% of the time you get that action.

You're seeing offsuit overs almost never...

I'm, of course, ignoring set over set.
---

I don't think there's an 'overwhelming' argument against it but I think it's -EV because you can't make those bets up as often as you might against weaker holdings. Calling 3 bets cold is a steep price on a long-term loser unless you have good control of the table.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Don't you guys consider that he has position after the flop and can easily be closing the action post flop on the other streets?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Preflop with 88 *DELETED*

Post deleted by Philo
Old 12-10-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not cold-call three bets before the flop. With four opponents seeing the flop and a very big pre-flop pot, you are not going to win every time you hit your set.

[/ QUOTE ]

One could argue that implicit collusion is starting to take effect here. If we're seeing two people going at it with AA, then we're in damn fine shape should we spike an 8.

No idea how to take advantage of it, just making a point.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be being a bit generous when estimating the number of bets, which you could expect to collect if you make your set IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What your counter-estimate be? (Remember that this is an 'average' guess, so you need to balance the times that you get bonus action and the times you get no action.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron,
The pot size is basically going to be the average pot size when a big field is 3-bet. I'd ballpark maybe 10-11BB, but probably not 13-14. If we also account for the 25% of the time that your set is cracked, we'd need an even bigger average pot, ne c'est pas?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we also account for the 25% of the time that your set is cracked, we'd need an even bigger average pot, ne c'est pas?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really important. You obviously also lose quite a bit when you hit your set and lose.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If we also account for the 25% of the time that your set is cracked, we'd need an even bigger average pot, ne c'est pas?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really important. You obviously also lose quite a bit when you hit your set and lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do sets really lose 25% of the time?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do sets really lose 25% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's the rule of thumb for a flopped set on all boards.