Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 02:26 PM

Default How should I have played this?

In MTT top 2 cash down to 11 (two tables running) Final table of 10 will convene when next player is eliminated.
Blinds 300-600.

UTG (13800)
UTG+1 (18000) - HERO
CO (10000)
Button (17000)
SB (6500)
BB (1300)

UTG raises to 1200, I call with Ah Jh, everyone folds to BB
who moves all-in which was a raise of another 100. UTG and I both call the extra 100. Preflop Pot (4200)

Flop comes 4h-9c-9h....UTG raises all-in for remaining 12500 in chips. I think for a bit putting him on hands ranging from overcards to medium pocket pair to possible A-low. Opponent had been fairly loose trying to steal pots. I felt like I could catch a jack or hit the flush and win the pot. So I felt like I had 12 outs. Pot (16700) so I was getting 1.3 to 1 to call. I felt like I was around a 3 to 2 dog and if I won the hand would be the overwhelming chip leader with almost twice as many chips as 2nd heading into the final 10. I decided to gamble and take a little to the worse of it and try to hit my hand. The UTG player flips up 8-9 off and his trip nines held up. How bad a play was this and should I have played the hand differently.
I had been very tight prior to playing this hand, while my opponents had been stabbing around trying to steal pots.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this?

Players usually don't go all in with nothing, when one of his opponents is all-in. Also, the guy who went all in preflop.......you didn't think he might have QQ+?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this?

While your reads weren't so bad, you couldn't disallow the chance that he did have a 9, especially if he had been stealing alot of pots recently. However, looking over the situation I feel that your read on his cards, either two overcards or a medium to low pocket pair, wasn't that bad a choice.
Looking exclusively from an odds standpoint, you were just getting the odds to move in here, given that you thought you had twelve outs. Furthermore, you said that he had been fairly loose recently, saying that he could have had a range of hands (a number which you could have beaten).
One of the things I think you are failing to realize is that you had an M of 20, and, in reality, where in no position to have to throw all of your money into the pot. Since it was immediately before the final table, I probably would have folded to fight another day, hoping to outplay my opponents at the final table. Yet, your argument regarding that you would be a massive chip leader is certaintly a part of this decision, I wouldn't have wanted to put my entire tournament on, possibly, a coin flip situation.