Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Is it worth it to take lessons now that I'm 24?
yes 44 77.19%
no 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: accident...

i dont even know the answer, i use both all the time
Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, when will people figure out that if you "could care less" THEN YOU CARE!!!!

its "couldn't". I dont know why but it annoys the hell outta me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's meant to be sarcastic. Moran.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, when will people figure out that if you "could care less" THEN YOU CARE!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never believed anyone saying "I could care less" was trying to be scarcastic. Theyre just parroting back a phrase they heard incorrectly. Sarcasm is the perfect ad-hoc excuse to prevent sounding like a [censored].
Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never believed anyone saying "I could care less" was trying to be scarcastic. Theyre just parroting back a phrase they heard incorrectly. Sarcasm is the perfect ad-hoc excuse to prevent sounding like a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I could care less what you believe. (joke).

Don't take it from me, take it from World Wide Words.

[ QUOTE ]
Attempts to be logical about "I could care less fail". Taken literally, if one could care less, then one must care at least a little, which is obviously the opposite of what is meant. It is so clearly logical nonsense that to condemn it for being so (as some commentators have done) misses the point. The intent is obviously sarcastic—the speaker is really saying, “As if there was something in the world that I care less about”.

However, this doesn’t explain how it came about in the first place. Something caused the negative to vanish even while the original form of the expression was still very much in vogue and available for comparison. Stephen Pinker, in The Language Instinct, points out that the pattern of intonation in the two versions is very different.

There’s a close link between the stress pattern of I could care less and the kind that appears in certain sarcastic or self-deprecatory phrases that are associated with the Yiddish heritage and (especially) New York Jewish speech. Perhaps the best known is I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often “I have no hope of being so lucky”, a closely similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning. There’s no evidence to suggest that I could care less came directly from Yiddish, but the similarity is suggestive. There are other American expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means “Don’t tell me about it, because I know all about it already”. These may come from similar sources.

So it’s actually a very interesting linguistic development. But it is still regarded as slangy, and also has some social class stigma attached. And because it is hard to be sarcastic in writing, it loses its force when put on paper and just ends up looking stupid. In such cases, the older form, while still rather colloquial, at least will communicate your meaning—at least to those who really could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

The vituperativeness of your criticism seems to me to lend credibility to the author's claim of social stigma.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 AM

I could start a website and start justifying stupidity on it too, that won't make it correct.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could start a website and start justifying stupidity on it too, that won't make it correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just continue doing it on internet forums.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 AM

wow dude, no offense intended but you're totally coming across as an [censored].

not to mention the fact that it is STUPID to use a phrase like that, taken at face value, as sarcasm... it'll never be accepted as sarcasm.

That is a ridiculous excuse for looking like a moron.

you lose.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 AM

I agree with you maryfield. I think behemoth see's you as an [censored] because he has no way to support his opinion (other than by namecalling)... while you do.

While I could care less that behemoth is being an [censored], I still felt the need to post about it.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow dude, no offense intended but you're totally coming across as an [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I? And the people who are judging others as stupid for using a particular phrase are not [censoreds]? And when I cite a reference that quotes one of the most published and respected linguists in the USA, and contains a fairly reasoned explanation of the usage of the phrase in question, the responses are to completely ignore that content? And I'm a [censored]? Fine, I'd rather be a [censored] than not in this context.

[ QUOTE ]
not to mention the fact that it is STUPID to use a phrase like that, taken at face value, as sarcasm... it'll never be accepted as sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet you know what meaning the person using the phrase intends. How does that work, exactly? Could it be that the meaning is taken from both the context and the fact that it is often used in that way? Why is it easier for you to believe that the speaker does not realize that the literal meaning is the opposite of the intended meaning? Anyone not capable of understanding that would have a hard time randomly stringing 3 words together.

[ QUOTE ]
That is a ridiculous excuse for looking like a moron.

you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you say so.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM

haha, I didnt namecall.

I said he was coming across as an ahole because of his insult to tony p.

I said that the people who would go through all that trouble to show that it was sarcasm look like morons for attempting to make the excuse.

and I did show a line for my argument, but apparently you just wanna say Im a mean mean man.

whatever