Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Strange line and it happens 3 times

$2/$4NL...6 max
All 3 of these hands I get check raised on the flop and then the guy checks the turn. I hardly ever see that and to see it 3 times in 5 mins really was weird and I was like a deer in headlights.

#1) I raise to $16 with TT. BB calls.
Pot $34. Flop 752. He checks, I bet $24 and he check raises to $48. I call.

Pot $130. Turn 9. He checks and I check
Pot $130. River Q. He bets $80 and I fold.

#2) Same villain a few hands later. He limps UTG. I raise to $16 with JJ and he calls.

Pot $38. Flop T66. He checks, I bet $30 and he check raises to $60. I call.

Pot $158. Turn 4. He checks...hmmm..same exact line. I bet $80 and he calls.

Pot $318. River 8. He bets $140. I call...Thoughts?

#3) This happened at the same time..different table and different villain.

I raise to $16 UTG with KK. BB calls.
Pot $34. Flop 862. He checks and I bet $30. He check raises to $72. I call.

Pot $176. Turn 9. He checks and I check
Pot $176. River T. He bets $40 and I raise to $120. Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Strange line and it happens 3 times

Most of the time I interpret flop check-raise/turn check as weakness.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:01 AM

Throw out 2/3 pot bets on all these turns.

Raising the river in #3 is bad.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 AM

hand 3 is strange why do u check the turn?waiting 4 an ace to drop?push the turn and pick up the pot!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:52 AM

1) I usually would bet this turn; check is ok. Call the river (even assuming you'd never seen this guy do this line before)

2) Check the turn; possibly raise his river bet (now you know he uses this line a lot- you want added value from his bluffs; along w/ minimizing losses v trip 6s- even if it costs you value vs. AT)

3) played fine until the river. River is call > fold > big raise > ur raise. I think calling is better. You may push out AA- possibly; or you may get a call from QQ w/ your raise. I don't see any reason for doing this if you give him any somewhat logical hand range. If I'm raising this river its at least potsized.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:38 AM

As you can see the hands are very similar.

#1) This is the 1st time Ive seen this line in a million years. I didnt know what the turn check meant so I checked behind. I didnt feel like I could call the river so I folded

#2) Exact same line from same guy. By now I was suspicious so I bet the turn. When he led the river, I was stuck again. I probbaly shouldve folded. He had quad 6's

#3) This hand is like 3 mins later and Im still freaked out about the 1st 2 hands so I decided to keep the pot small and check behind on the turn.

I raised the river because his bet looked like a blocking bet to me. Not a good idea since I have no idea what he has. He had TT

Obviously I screwed these up about as badly as could be done, but I still dont know if its best to bet these turns or not. One guy was trapping in at least 1 hand if not both. The other guy played it like a moron in my opinion but made me freeze up and then 2 outted me.

This has been a horrific 13 buy in losing streak where every possible bad scenario has come up.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Flop check-raise followed by a turn check is weakness the majority of the time. It's "Did you miss? - No, huh, since you just called... damn, okay, well, I hope you at least check it down from here and my 77 hold up." I bet the turn virtually every time, even if I called the flop with air intending to do precisely that.

Kirk
Old 12-03-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop check-raise followed by a turn check is weakness the majority of the time. It's "Did you miss? - No, huh, since you just called... damn, okay, well, I hope you at least check it down from here and my 77 hold up." I bet the turn virtually every time, even if I called the flop with air intending to do precisely that.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats kind of what I thought until I saw the guy do it with quads.

So you would bet the turn and if he called, you would check behind on the river most times?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 PM

"This has been a horrific 13 buy in losing streak where every possible bad scenario has come up."

A 13 buy-in losing streak is something I would be very worried about. It seems more like bad play than the downside of variance.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM

I think hand #3 can be interpreted 1 of 4 main ways (of course, it's possible he is just making a VERY strange play with little logic to it but...):

1. He is putting a play on you (misread) or making a semi-bluff on the flop (hence the larger than min raise that has a better chance of possibly winning the hand right then), you call and he says "oh crap.. that didn't work" and slows down. You check though so he feels he needs to at least take a shot at the pot on 5th and hangs his head when you raise.

2. The hand starts off in a similar way, but now he actually gets lucky and improves his hand on 4th (say he has 98 or 99). Now he switches modes of operation and decides to slow play. You check behind him on 4th, so he thinks that maybe you are weak and tries to just value bet on 5th and is pleased when you raise him.

3. Similar to the other scenarios, but this time after the flop he improves but picks up a straight draw (or had the draw but now pairs), gets a free card, hits it on 5th but feels you are weak now so he doesn't bet that much. He's glad you raised.

4. He knows how you play and thinks you might have AK/AQ here and might have missed and knows you will bet strong often here anyway if checked to. He holds something like TT/JJ and says "oh crap" when you call his raise because he doesn't believe you would do that with just AK/AQ and now he turns soft. 5th is then just a blocking bet if he has JJ since if you have AA/KK/QQ/TT he's behind, and he's unhappy when you raise. It's a small value bet when he thinks you are weak if he had TT and he's glad to see the raise.