Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: LC: One year ago (Stolen from STT Forum)

1 year ago I:
Had a roll of about 200 playing .5/1 and the 5+1 SnG's at party. I was proballly a massive fish, i probally ran good.

Now I:
Beat the $22s on Party
Have cashed for over 1k twice in MTTs
Can beat 2/4 for a 2/bb winrate
Consider myself to have a rather good grasp of tournament poker.
Have a roll of 2k and change
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM

~1 year ago:
-Played in home games where no one (myself included) knew anything about poker beyond what the WSOP told us.
-Had never played online poker before.
-Never thought about poker seriously.

Now:
-I turned a $25 initial deposit at UB ~2-2.5 months ago into $170 so far with a lot of wasted money too.
-Read 2+2 constantly.
-Have read TOP, SSHE and the Super Systems.
-Play LHE and O/8 ring games when I'm not doing school work (which seems to be less and less now) for pretty good winrates.
-Am on my way to trying to build myself a legitimate bankroll. How long will it take?

It'll be interesting to see this and do it again next year...
Old 12-01-2005, 05:06 PM

One Year Ago
I had just started posting on 2+2 and had been lurking for about four months before. I had started playing poker online about 5 months earlier just to make enough money to pay for my NFL Sunday Ticket. By November I was at about $2000 from $100 playing $10 & $20 SNGs.

I won my first $10 MTT in November with only about 300 runners on Pokerroom. Then won a $20 MTT in December for a $700 score.

I set a goal for 2005 to turn my $2500 bankroll into a $12500 bankroll.

Started playing stud online in January and moved up from 1/2 to 4/8 in about a month and was killing a soft game for 3BB/hr.

I had won a couple of $10 MTTs in February and was playing well.

The last week of March I got really hot. I cashed in four straight 50 MTTs on UB winning two of them. My stud game also disapeared. But that's alright, I was already over my goal for the year.

I finished in the money in a few 30 MTTs in June. However, at this point I was only playing MTTs.

Put my wife through a couple of masters classes. That was $5000 gone.

New brakes and four new tires on the car. A really cool chainsaw on a 15' stick. Re-wired the house. Should have been an electrician they make good money.

By August I'm running really cold, tilting on some short handed 100NL not helping and not dropping stakes, really not helping. Down to $360 I decide to go back to $30 SNGs. Do pretty well for about a month and then go cold and blow my self down to about $30.

Play 6 $5 MTTs on Pokerroom. Finish second for 180 bucks on my last 5 dollars. Take that to a 25NL cash game and kill it until the end of September when I find out I owe about a grand in back taxes two days after I get back from a trip to Penn State.

Have $6 online by the end of October. Off to 1.75 two table turbos on Stars a couple of days a week. But I'm all the way up to $35 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Just biding my time until January when my fantasy football winnings come in and I can replenish my bankroll. I just hope my three first place teams stay there and give me a couple of grand to play with.

The moral of this story is you can lose a good bankroll from other ways then just running bad. Man this felt like a bad beat post to me.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:24 PM

One year ago today I had no bankroll after playing for a living and busting after 7 months.

Now I have a better understanding of poker and bankroll management. Quit my job again in February started playing for a living again w/$1k after a family emergancy forced me out of my job and after 10 months I have a 5 figure br and no worries(thanks to a 1st and 3rd in Stars $5 rebuys in consecutive days [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Now I play $100NL and $25-$100PLO and $30+3's and lower + $10+r and lower. The most important thing I have learned though is books are way overrated and experience is way underrated, esp. in MTTs.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:25 PM

1 Year ago:

Started playing poker for money, using $10 at royal vegas.
played some sit and go's, vastly overforcasting my win rate every time I won a sng.

played every suited hand in ring games (cause you knew you were going to win if you have the flush)

sometimes just limped every hand...

Read a book on 7 card on started playing pot limit stud.

Now:

Have made around 7 FT. Realized how much tilt costs me as a player. Learned a little more emotional control after tilting. Not taking shots at higher limits after tilting anymore. Lifetime loser at ring game holdem, however because of tournaments and 7 card stud still have made a net profit. Stopped playing ring games after the donaters left the stud game, didn't realize the variance possible in tournaments, went on a losing streak, and didn't have the bankroll at all. So I'm currently rebuilding w/ $2/4 stud and party $25.

Still trying to stop calling in tournaments when I know I should fold. I realized that I have to watch my play carefully for microtilt after playing for a while, currently trying to work on this.

- Joseph
Old 12-01-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Sold 1.3 million Play $ for 70$ on PayPal (some people are stupid).

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone seriously did that? When I was trying to build a bankroll a while back, I thought about trying to do that, but then realized that no one would be so retarded as to buy play money chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazingly, yes.

I checked ebay and saw some people selling play money for some pretty surprising amounts, but for whatever reason ebay doesn't allow this and would cancel the auction before it was finished. So the next time I saw one, I PM'ed the highest bidder through ebay and said if the auction gets canned, MSN me and I'll sell you the Play Money. It did, and he did.

He even sent the full amount first. And no, I didn't try to to screw him by not sending the Play Money, though I do pretty much feel like I screwed him anyway.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 PM

1 year ago I:

- Had just turned 19. Was living at home and going to a local JC.

- Came off a 10-day stretch in which I won 30K in MTT's

- In the process, convinced my parents that this pro poker thing was probably going to work out

- Had beaten the Party 15/30 game for 20K+ over the summer

Now:

- Lived in Paris for three months this summer. Met strassa, yahtzem, ZJ, and Terrence Chan during the WPT (which I came excruciatingly close to q'ing for.)

- Currently live on my own with no financial assistance from my parents

- Have have made about half as much money as I did last year

- Have improved both my limit hold'em game and my MTT game by leaps and bounds, despite not having nearly as good a year.

- Play far too much Civ IV.

Will
Old 12-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Last year: Turned $100 into almost a full comma (just under $1k) and back down to $200. Right about this time I stopped playing poor poker and started figuring this game out.

One year later:

I have won seats to two $10K tournaments, the 2005 WSOP Main event and a seat of my choosing, likely to be the Borgata Winter Poker Open (which has an unbelievably creamy good structure.

I have become a consistent winner in MTTs, STTs and cash games.

I have endured an extremely fierce cold run. This is actually a positive, as I learned how to analyze my play during this run. I also learned how to recognize symptoms of me slipping into poor habits, and then how to correct them. Once I corrected poor habits that had developed due to the cold run, it was only a matter of time before the cold run ended.

Over the next year I hope to:

Get a better grasp of PLO and O8. I am no better than decent at either game, and while I don't like O8, I know I'll have to at least move from decent to good.

This one's going to be a bit of a big statement, but I mean it... Instead of being excited when I win a satellite to a big tournament, over the next year I hope to EXPECT to win satellites to big tournaments.

Oh, and winning a big tournament wouldn't suck, either.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:50 PM

One Year Ago

I was 8-10 tabling 3-6, 5-10 full, not playing too many multis, pretty much just Sunday Empire 50K

Got back to back final tables in the Empire 50k in November and figured to play more of those, but never really did.

Today

Last month, I played 40k hands of 3/6 6 max trying to refine my limit skills, I also played 10k hands mixed between 15-30-50/100, and I'm playing a multi or 2 every night sunday-wed

I have built up a huge roll thanks a lot to the wonders of rakeback and am actually funded for 100/200 though I doubt I can beat it. Plan to play 50k hands of 5/10 6 max this month and hopefully beat it for as much as 3/6 6 max and then decide where to go from there. Made my national TV debut last month and got the joy of listening to Clonie Gowen(Vastly overrated) talk about how weak I was playing headsup when she saw 7 of the 60 or so hands played.(even though I raised all in 3x with draws in those 7 or 8 hands)
Currently in the process of finalizing plans to build me a brand new house, I'm going all out, can't wait til its done in June/July.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:41 PM

One year ago

In november last year I had my first winning month playing poker. I final tabled several $5 tourneys on pokerroom and won a 30$ one I had no business playing in. Before that I was a purely recreational player and was content in losing a couple of hundred a month playing either online or in a B&M. I had very little clue as to what I was doing and I was learning by experimenting. I had never even thought of reading a book on poker. But nov04 to feb-05 I was on a rush.

Since

I had good success for awhile and so I started playing way above my roll (what else are you supposed to do?!). I was overconfident. I was playing games I had no business playing. I had started lurking here and it was actually screwing up my game. I was misaplying what I was reading and losing badly. I quickly blew 1/3 of my roll and decided to re-examine things. In the mean time I would stick to the low buyin MTTs where I had success.

After alot of recent studying I'm back to feeling comfortable with my game and have had a great oct-nov. I've won or FT several times and I'm making the jump to higher buyins again, only this time I aim to take a smarter approach to managing my money and time.

The biggest change for me this past year has been my approach to the game. I'm much more serious about this now than I was a year ago.