Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Reraising someone who raises too much

[ QUOTE ]
You don't give enough information on hand one. If you can get it heads up with him by just calling, then that is by far the superior play. Since we believe he has a trash hand, we can steal the pot from him on nearly any board. We can win a decent amount from him if an ace hits and he is outkicked, if he flops bottom pair he has to give it up, if he flops nothing he has to give it up. Reraising preflop only wins us $9.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is interesting. My solution to this type of Villain is to reraise with a much larger range of hands in position, reasoning that the reraise in of itself will have enough folding equity for me to be freerolling if we have to take a flop. While I would be more inclined to reraise with something like 98s than AJ, I think I would typically reraise against this type of Villain in this spot. I'm not sure the expectation from simply calling surpasses the expectation of winning the $9 currently in the pot...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1/$2 NL. This villain raises too much. Probably 16% or so. He almost always raises to $8. Every blue moon he raises to $6. The one $6 raise hes showdown, he had A6.

He raises to $6. Do you reraise with AJ? If so, do you make it $20? Or more than that? I assume you are potting most any flop if he calls?

One more question. Same villain (this guy is giving me problems) $2/$4 NL this time...still 6 max. Do you think his play is good here?

UTG raises to $16. Villain calls with T9s. BB reraises to $52. UTG calls. Villain calls. (all have $400) This seems pretty questionable to me.

Pot $156. Flop 873. BB bets $100. UTG folds. Villain calls. Is this a good call? Implied odds are shrinking with this much of the stacks in already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not go into a large pot with A J against this type of player, I think its kind of common the call a pot bet on flop and call another on turn just to steal-push on river, I dont like to play that kind of hand with A J. But Im a tight/weak tight type... I would wait for aces
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$1/$2 NL. This villain raises too much. Probably 16% or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

16% pfr is high but not insane. You don't say whether he's 50/16 or 35/16 or 20/16 - this makes a difference. Also how many hands have you seen - he may just be running hot. AJ is an easy fold here unless he's a genuine maniac IMO - it really isn't that great a hand and I think your later post about always winning when you both miss is optimistic. (Even though you have position.) There are better hands to take the guy down with.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 AM

After playing the hand out, it turned out that he had T8s. Now that you know he raises to $6 with T8s UTG, would you reraise to $20 here with AJ or just call?

I did put him on a weak ace or a sutted gapper like T8s since he almost always raises to $8 and made it $6 this time. With T8s, I do believe that if he calls, I will win it on the flop most times.

Maybe the answer lies in how aften he will continue on the flop with just a pair?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM

Yes, if I knew his hole cards I'd definitely reraise...

The $6 raise as against $8 is horrendous on his part if it's routine, so you did well taking advantage of it.

Your OP based the question purely on how often he raised - but some tight players raise a lot 6 max. Without a VP$IP figure it's hard to say how to play it.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:29 PM

If you plan to be a winning player you need to open up your hand range. No way you fold AJ here I take control and raise here. Like I said to beat a player like this you need to play aggressive and dictate the action both PF and post flop. You need to open your range agaisnt tough opponents, perhaps AJ isnt the best starting hand, but since when do you need the best hand to win?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to analyze what certain winning players do when I think they made a mistake to see if they actually are correct and Im not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have nothing to contribute but this quote is awesome. Everybody should do this but most people don't.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you plan to be a winning player you need to open up your hand range. No way you fold AJ here I take control and raise here. Like I said to beat a player like this you need to play aggressive and dictate the action both PF and post flop. You need to open your range agaisnt tough opponents, perhaps AJ isnt the best starting hand, but since when do you need the best hand to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what type of "player like this" you're talking about, but you beat bad LAGs by letting them bluff off all their chips when you've got a big hand. You (try to) beat good LAGs by randomly playing back at them, sometimes with big hands and sometimes with drawing hands (either preflop or postflop). AJo is neither a big hand nor a drawing hand, preflop nor postflop.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to open your range agaisnt tough opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just so horribly wrong. You make money in poker by seeking out pots against bad players and avoiding pots against good players.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Against the villain you are talking about I call and If I flop an ace I call him down. If I flop a jack I protect it.