Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Reraising someone who raises too much

$1/$2 NL. This villain raises too much. Probably 16% or so. He almost always raises to $8. Every blue moon he raises to $6. The one $6 raise hes showdown, he had A6.

He raises to $6. Do you reraise with AJ? If so, do you make it $20? Or more than that? I assume you are potting most any flop if he calls?

One more question. Same villain (this guy is giving me problems) $2/$4 NL this time...still 6 max. Do you think his play is good here?

UTG raises to $16. Villain calls with T9s. BB reraises to $52. UTG calls. Villain calls. (all have $400) This seems pretty questionable to me.

Pot $156. Flop 873. BB bets $100. UTG folds. Villain calls. Is this a good call? Implied odds are shrinking with this much of the stacks in already.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Reraising someone who raises too much

[ QUOTE ]
$1/$2 NL. This villain raises too much. Probably 16% or so. He almost always raises to $8. Every blue moon he raises to $6. The one $6 raise hes showdown, he had A6.

He raises to $6. Do you reraise with AJ? If so, do you make it $20? Or more than that? I assume you are potting most any flop if he calls?

One more question. Same villain (this guy is giving me problems) $2/$4 NL this time...still 6 max. Do you think his play is good here?

UTG raises to $16. Villain calls with T9s. BB reraises to $52. UTG calls. Villain calls. (all have $400) This seems pretty questionable to me.

Pot $156. Flop 873. BB bets $100. UTG folds. Villain calls. Is this a good call? Implied odds are shrinking with this much of the stacks in already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for first case, reraise to ~18-20 and then depending on flop, bet 75-100% of pot and then gauge his reaction.

The second play looks terrible, on flop, BB has put in 100 and now only has 250 left for the turn and river and villian is getting 2.5:1 on his call... I dunno, seems loose and will need to hit straight to win (since BB is representing aces/kings).
Old 11-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Also, what is villian like post-flop? Still crazy?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:38 PM

He plays pretty well overall and is a winner from what Ive seen. I like to analyze what certain winning players do when I think they made a mistake to see if they actually are correct and Im not.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:40 PM

AJo is a pretty weak holding and against a solid winning player, I doubt that I could play it well enough OOP, especially when I miss flop and even sometimes if I do. I doubt the 3xBB raise PF means much, he might just be mixing play.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:48 PM

I was in position with the AJ. It just seems to me that if hes raising 16%, hes raising things like weak aces, suited gappers, any pair and probably things like QJ. He may call the reraise with most of those hands (especially since I know he'll call a big reraise with T9s) and he'll misss the flop most times. When he misses, I win. When we both miss, I win.

I could be wrong though. I havent had a lot of success reraising without premium hands.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in position with the AJ. It just seems to me that if hes raising 16%, hes raising things like weak aces, suited gappers, any pair and probably things like QJ. He may call the reraise with most of those hands (especially since I know he'll call a big reraise with T9s) and he'll misss the flop most times. When he misses, I win. When we both miss, I win.

I could be wrong though. I havent had a lot of success reraising without premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

i rr 99+ AJ+ against this guy. if he is a solid winning player, a fact which is questionable considering his play with 109s, then you are accomplishing two things with your reraise. one you have already stated. two, since we know he is playing sc's low pp's AND he is supposedly solid, we are not getting action with those hands unless we are behind. soah had a great post on who he reraises JJ against. this guy seems to fit the bill. basically we want to get value from our hand pf, b/c we are not getting much action from 56s postflop unless we are behind.

i puked reading his play with 109s. if anything he should be pushing the flop, then he has two chances to win. all in all i dont like his play with 109s unless he knows the reraiser. if reraiser is tight/weak tight i would call multiway expecting to win the pot w/o the best hand some of the time. apparently he is trying to make the best hand, he should lose money with that pf call only winning when he makes the best hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 AM

I was the reraiser in the T9s hand. I had KK.
Flop was 873 and I bet $100. He called. Turn was a J and I pushed. Obviously he called.

Im 90% sure my play was good and his bad (but not horrible), but like I said, I like to review the play of what I think are solid players to see if they know something I dont.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 AM

if he is planning folding the turn unimproved it is atrocious. if he is planning on calling any turn it is still atrocious b/c he should push so sometimes people will fold. all in all he simply put to much money in pf. he will bleed chips with this play. he would breakeven if he is calling with pp's unless u reraise with a wider range than AA KK QQ, at which point he again is bleeding money the times he does hit his set and u have air and will not continue after the flop. make a note, this is a very exploitable tendancy. obviously this guy thinks u win money are NL by making hands to stack people off. in sum u should widen ur reraising range against him since he is willing to pay so dearly to see the flop with those cards.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This villain raises too much. Probably 16% or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally raise about 25% of my hands.