Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Lions fire Mariucci

Interesting column by Dan Wetzel here.

Talking about Millen, he says:
[ QUOTE ]
He should resign.

After five years of Millen running the worst franchise in the NFL deeper into the ground, the move would be long overdue.

The Lions stunk when Millen took over. They are worse now. The fact he will be hiring the third head coach under his tenure is just one of a million mind numbingly bad stats.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now he'll be replaced by some donk that will do an even worse job. Millen actually passed on Parcells in favor of Mariucci. Parcells actually wanted to come to Detroit and ended up settling for the Cowboy's. That alone should be enough reason to fire Millen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious as to where/how you learned of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Detroit Lion's sports talk radio show.

[/ QUOTE ]
My BS detector is going off on this one. I'm not saying that you are lying, but I highly doubt this sudden information that no one has ever heard before.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now he'll be replaced by some donk that will do an even worse job. Millen actually passed on Parcells in favor of Mariucci. Parcells actually wanted to come to Detroit and ended up settling for the Cowboy's. That alone should be enough reason to fire Millen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious as to where/how you learned of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Detroit Lion's sports talk radio show.

[/ QUOTE ]
My BS detector is going off on this one. I'm not saying that you are lying, but I highly doubt this sudden information that no one has ever heard before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The opening in Detroit was due to Mariucci's firing in SF. That happened after their playoff loss (to Tampa I think) before the NFC title game. Marty was out, and less than a week later Mooch was in.

I don't think Parcells was even a thought, as he had 'retired' from coaching some time before that.

PG
Old 11-29-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am shocked, shocked that you would doubt something heard on sports talk radio. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 AM

According to John Clayton:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...amp;id=2239800

Clayton basically implies that Mooch was too soft and Millen will be looking for a tougher personality to replace him.

I find this interesting and rather alarming at the same time. Recall Bobby Ross. He fits that description perfectly and where did the Lions wind up with him? He couldn't handle the Lions (albeit a different group) and quit in the middle of the season.

I suggest they find R. Lee Ermey and get him to coach the Lions. There won't be any endzone celebrations if he were in charge (although there aren't any now either, since the Lions don't score).

PG