Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 AM

Default River Bluff

100 PLO. First hand, so no reads.

Seat 1: UTG ($71.40 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero ($100 in chips) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 3: CO ($245 in chips)
Seat 4: Button ($35.80 in chips)
Seat 6: SB ($128.40 in chips)
Seat 8: BB ($478.05 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($1), BB posts blind ($1), Hero posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
UTG calls $1, Hero checks, CO raises to $5, Button folds, SB calls $4, BB calls $4, UTG calls $4, Hero calls $4.

($25) FLOP [board cards 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
checked to raiser, raiser bets $10, fold, fold, mconchamp calls $10, Hero calls $10.

TURN 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero checks, CO bets $20, UTG calls $20, Hero calls $20.

RIVER 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets $65 and is all-in...

If I put the other caller on hearts and the raiser on a low probablility of having a straight, does it matter that the straight I'm representing should have made noise on the turn?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: River Bluff

The river bet looks like 9-7 or 6-6, which doesn't synch very well with a hand that would be check-calling the flop and turn. Given that, it could be read as a busted draw bluff.

I am not sure that I would be able to come up with that line of thinking in the heat of battle though. (read... I suck)
Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Terrible time to bluff. You have no idea if the other players can make a good laydown. You have no image, so they will be especially curious to see what you have. And as you have already identified you haven't set the play up with a compelling line. It smells like a desperate bluff.

Plus you are not deep enough to set this up well if you even want to, since that would require raising the turn, which will make the odds for your opponent to call the river too compelling. And even in a deep stacked situation I think we are talking about investing too much with that line on a bluff.

My real question is why you would call those flop and turn bets with just a straight draw on a 2 flush board. Its raise or fold on that flop, but it should be mostly fold.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Fold the flop and turn. You have only six good outs that often is just to a split and even if you hit on the turn there will often be a huge amount of possible redraws (assuming anyone else sees the river, but you need the implied odds for the flop call to work).

River bluff: Not a good spot IMO.

What are you representing? No straight or set looks believable.

You should certainly get called by any set. I would happily call with any two pair as UTG if CO folds (unless I misread it would only be ~35 for him to call all-in which gives him huge pot odds to try to catch a bluff), and probably even with just a queen (which the kings would actually beat).

If you believe CO is actually weak, you should consider a check/call hoping for a CO bluff bet folding UTG. This should at least be better than betting (I am not sure if it is better than a simple check/fold, though).