Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-21-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Is there a point where I stop raising here?

I would never, ever stop raising here with the 2nd nuts when the pre-flop and flop action makes it almost impossible for him to have the nuts.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But seriously... if it was NL, I would have called an all-in, so in this case, I would definitely keep raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that putting all of the money in here is smart, but this argument doesn't make it so. In limit, each raise gives more information that isn't gained in no-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but after the 11th re-raise, I'm not sure you're gaining much more info than you had after the 10th re-raise... other than "yup, this guy still likes his hand."
Old 11-21-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something along the lines of he had two pair, I couldn't have a higher two pair, and there was no way I had a 3, so he must be a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amazing.

I will admit, being weak tight by nature, I could not have gone to the felt here. I would like to think I could have gone as deep as you did.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 PM

I had some clown go to war with me the other day with 33 on the preflop and on flop -- just a pair of 3s mind you -- against my flopped set of Queens. This was online at Stars 2/4 (or it might have been 3/6). Turn was a brick and he went to war again. I ended up taking down a nice pot after he slowed down after another river brick. PA shows me he had 33 and he told me jovially "nice hand" and "I had a pair too. Not as good as yours though. I'm still new and don't really know what I'm doing." I told him he was doing fine and just have fun and not worry about it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Moral of the story: beginners and clueless players can have a lot of different things. I expected to see KK or AA they way he played it.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:50 PM

Playing a Party 5/10 game about a year ago, I was dealt pocket kings, flopped top set on a board of Kxx. Turn 3. River 3. Betting was capped on every single round with 4 players, and at the end one guy turned over pocket 3s. The other two guys were chasing flush draws that got there when the board paired. So I've seen first hand how it can happen. But even after going through that, I'd still go down to the felt here with unlimited raising heads up. No matter how bad a guy is, I just can't see anyone going so many raises on the flop with 33. I'm putting all the money in, and if he happens to turn over pocket threes, then that's why poker sucks sometimes.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM

i've definitely seen clueless people play an underpair that hard, saying the previous action makes 33 "almost impossible" is a pretty ridiculous thing to say IMO. anyone dumb enough to play AA like this is clearly dumb enough to put in that many bets preflop (they capped a reraise heads up, that means just about nothing) and on the flop with 33. these people don't know what they're doing.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone dumb enough to play AA like this is clearly dumb enough to put in that many bets preflop (they capped a reraise heads up, that means just about nothing) and on the flop with 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

definately. I think I would start to worry especially with people standing around the table and after 50 bets show a cooler. I would feel like a damn idiot if he had 33.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would start to worry especially with people standing around the table and after 50 bets show a cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with this term, what do you mean? Cheating?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:35 PM

I wouldn't have stopped betting. By your description I had him on AA. (Since that is the best hand and it can't be beat ;-) or so a new player would think. or at best 88 for trip 8s or 55 for trip 5s on the flop.

No way would I have even thought running 3s would give him quads.

I bet now you would have a) have a read on him and b) taken all his money.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I would start to worry especially with people standing around the table and after 50 bets show a cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with this term, what do you mean? Cheating?

[/ QUOTE ]

the second nuts.