Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Stop and Go

$1/$2NL 6 max

I open raise to $8 with QJs in the cutoff. The SB calls and we're heads up. We both have about $200. I dont really have a read, but he appears to be fairly solid.

Pot $17. The flop comes QJ2. He checks and I bet $13 which he calls.

Pot $43. Turn 5. He now leads for $35. What do you put someone when they do this? Something like KQ?

I rarely see people make this play. When they do lead the turn, its usually more like 1/3 pot and they almost always fold to a raise.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Stop and Go

I had the same play happen yesterday against me except villian overbet the turn and I posted the hand as well. I only had TPWK and mistakenly called him down. Your hand is stronger. It seems illogical for him to have a two-pair type hand with that board unless he also has QJ. A set concerns me a bit. As does KK as that is what my villian called me with out of the BB (you are ahead of KK of course).

If they have a draw, they priced themselves out and I am OK with calling. If they have a set, you lose less by just calling here. If you are WA, you don't miss a whole lot by just calling. I say call and see what he does on the river, and I am calling him down with this hand at the least.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:01 PM

I think you need to raise here- if you raise one of three things could happen: (1) he could fold (in that case, I dont think he was gonna fire again on the river and probably you dont give away any money); (2) he calls, in which case you have position on the river, more money in the pot that you are likely a strong favorite on, and you can play some poker on the river; (3) he reraises you (probably all-in) and you will probably be able to let go of the hand (you have to think he has you on an overpair given the pre-flop and flop action if you raise here, so a re-raise means he can likely beat an overpair, which means he has a set or JQ as well, as any other two pair unlikely unless he has really been defending his blinds A LOT...)

EDIT: now that I am thinking about it, this might be a hard line to take without pot commiting yourself.. I still would prefer it, but a little less than I did at first.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:08 PM

My default is to call down. Your hand is too big to throw away this quickly, but if you raise you will certainly weed out all his oddball bluffs and leave your against a hand range you're not in so good of shape against. If he has something like AQ he'll usually fire again on the river (or at least call a reasonable bet) so you're not missing out on much value there (unless he's bad enough to put his whole stack in with it, but I'm assuming you don't have any sort of read to indicate this).
Old 11-18-2005, 11:27 PM

he has either AJ, AQ, KJ or KQ if you;ve Cbet with any sort of frequency whatsoever
Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Call turn and value raise the river
Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call turn and value raise the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we doing this if an A or 9 fall? Is it conceivable for him to be doing this with K10?