Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: HUGE flop

Can’t believe ppl advise betting here. This flop missed him by a mile & he’s probably drawing to runner runner. No need to try to be clever, just check it & hope he makes a move. If he's prepared to bluff re-raise you all-in then you'll get there just as easily by checking.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can’t believe ppl advise betting here. This flop missed him by a mile & he’s probably drawing to runner runner. No need to try to be clever, just check it & hope he makes a move. If he's prepared to bluff re-raise you all-in then you'll get there just as easily by checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't listen to this guy. checking won't get your money in. bet the 35$, if villain wants to bluff raise you he'll do it. the money isn't going to get in by itself.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Bet $25, induce bluffraise, beat him into the pot.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Clearly by the texture of your post you have a theif at your table, and you wanted to bust him. Obviously you found the hand to do it on. Now you have to bust him. If you think he is a thief, then his hand it probably feces (meaning only that he didnt connect to the flop, and probably doesnt have a premium hand). If he is a thief, then he knows he is a thief. He probably has figured out that you've been waiting to get him. He called your reraise PF im assuming to see if he could connect. But since you got all of the flop, he most certainly got none. If you make a continuation bet here, I'm thinking its very likely he'll just fold. You have all of the flop, and because he is probably on a semi-steal, his hand isn't good enough to call a CB, even a half-sized one. If you really wanna put the stealing to an end, it will be way to easy for him to wait a few rounds a try again if you give him a flop bet he can correctly fold to. After all, you've waited a while for your reraising hand, I'm sure he believes its a good one. So anyways, I think that in order to make him pay the most this on this one hand the best thing to do is slowplay in the hopes of inducing a river bluff. If he decides to bet on the flop and/or the turn, its better for you, because the pot grows, giving him reason to call on the river with whatever hand he has hopefully picked up by then.

Point is that more likely than not villain has no hand. A bet here lets him off the hook.

check/call flop
if check thru, check turn
if modest bet on flop, check turn
if sizable bet on flop, lead out river. with a bet as close to 2/3rds pot as you think he'll call.
river, get as many more chips as you can it, dont check.

This line of mine could EASILY be bad, feedback would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:18 PM

A monster flop, but not the nuts....yet. Since villain calls your re-raise he has to have something. Hopefully he has enough to warrant a call. And here's a good opportunity for him to represent your hand and make a donk bluff, or a semi-bluff. A lot of cards kill your action on the turn so I'm playing this one as fast as I can, within reason.

If he has a Big Pair I think check-raising is a still incorrect.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No need to try to be clever, just check it & hope he makes a move

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking is too clever - most rarely bet after a pre flop (re)raiser checks.

Half pot bet - if he's gonna make a move he'll try it whether you bet or not.

In the event he has an overpair, I'd punch myself if I let him take a free card (by checking and him checking through) to fill up over me. I don't think this thinking is "monsters under the bed" either - you should play flopped monsters similar to flopped air.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:24 PM

I couldn't disagree with Leptyne's assessment more.

a) 9s full of 8s is the nuts on the flop, hate to break it to you.
b) Villain is a clearly a suspected blind thief, which makes sense because hero what letting him do it while waiting for the right hand. So no, his call doesnt necessarily mean that villain has anything.
c) Pretty much not a single card in the deck "kill the action" as we will be counting on the thief to make a bluff here. Someone that is in the habit of pickin up pots with pf bluffs is probably also used to using scare cards against people that call them. I think a high card or a three flush if it is present will only help induce the bluff.

Could be wrong of course, but I think you are off the mark.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM

checking the flop as the pre-flop re-raiser is HIGHLY suspicious

he is going to check behind a good % of the time

he knows people are going to start playing back at him if hes doing this often, so we want to get money in the pot while we still can, like if he has JJ-22, we want to keep betting before any overcards hit, so he can "snap off" our AK bluff

i cant believe im even saying this again i already made this exact post so im gonna stop right here
Old 11-14-2005, 02:47 PM

My thinking is that he is unpaired here more often than he is paired. I think any additional cards on the board will help. I'm looking for him to pair a hole card or pick up a draw to second best that will convince him to take another shot at it. Because he is unpaired more often means this situation will more than ofset the times where he has some random pair and loses courage and folds to an overcard. MAYBE a half-pot bet would work, but the huge pf raise unfortunately makes even a half-pot a pretty daunting call for a mediocre hand like I think villain has. I dont think you want to be throwing a healthy, normal sized CB out there tho, that's definitely tapping the tank.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM

If the guy is that aggressive, I'd check it. If he bets, I'd probably smooth call and allow him to get a card that hopefully improves him. I want this guy to bluff his chips off (I'm assuming that is the type of player he is) and I'm going to give him opportunities to do so.

If the guy is good enough and you have a read that he'd pick up on your check after the pre-flop raise as a sign of strength, then bet. Otherwise, I'm walking the dog and hopes he picks up something on the way.