Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:08 PM

Default HUGE flop

$1/$2 NL ..6 max

A guy is raising my blind to $6 every round. Im waiting for the right hand and I get 98s and decide to pop him. I reraise to $26 and he calls. We both have about $200.

Pot $53. Flop 998. Whats your plan?

1) Make a normal continuation bet of about $35-$40?
2) Check and call him down
3) Check raise him and hope he has a big pair?
4) Check/call...lead turn
Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: HUGE flop

1)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM

i would make a bet, but this is one time that i might make a smaller than normal continuation bet. half-pot or so...the pot is big enough that half-pot bets will get you all-in by the river even if he does nothing more than call.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 PM

check looks suspicious, he will check behind a good % of the time

hows your postflop aggression at this table? when you are the pfr, how often have you been betting the flop? how often have you been raising preflop? with my image im definitely betting this flop, but this is your hand.

how long has he been raising your blind? if its been going on a while, how often have you been re-raising him?

if nothing real special has been happening, i probably bet 35 (you could bet 40, but i just think psychologicaly its easier for villain to call a bet of 35 rather than 40). he calls, pot is 120 on the turn, you each have about 140 left, which is perfect for a check-raise all-in. if he doesnt comply and checks behind, value bet the river. or maybe even push if a A/K doesnt fall on turn/river
Old 11-14-2005, 01:20 PM

definitely lead with a 2/3 bet and hope he decides to raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would make a bet, but this is one time that i might make a smaller than normal continuation bet. half-pot or so...the pot is big enough that half-pot bets will get you all-in by the river even if he does nothing more than call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, if you bet here you will probably have a wider hand range in villians eyes then if it went check/call. Board is paired which is a fine time to not have to through out a bet close to pot. I'd bet probably 30ish here. If flat called I'd probably check the turn to him and if for some reason he check's behind bet/push the river.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$1/$2 NL ..6 max

A guy is raising my blind to $6 every round. Im waiting for the right hand and I get 98s and decide to pop him. I reraise to $26 and he calls. We both have about $200.

Pot $53. Flop 998. Whats your plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

what a result!

My plan depends on I've played the table to date - I want Villain to think I have a mediocre hand and get him to push all his chips in by the river.

Good news is you have the nuts - bad news is the flops likely totally missed him - will he bet aggressively if he thinks you are weak? - has he got a strong 2nd best hand like AA KK that he'll bet anyway?

I'd usually opt for 1) throw out a standard continuation bet and pray he has something he likes enough to bet with.

Depending on how opponent is playing and what the turn and river bring it's tempting to check call to the river then throw all your chips in and hope that he thinks your bluffing and calls you down...

(but then I'm still new here and not emminently qualified to give great advice - yet...)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:24 PM

35-40. Don't like your selection for raising him. DO it with those cards when you have position.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:25 PM

If it was a regular player, then ya a check would be supsicous after the big raise.

But when this guy called your $20 raise, he called with either a great hand (not likely) or hes hoping to take this away from you.
I dont see how if you check hes not going to make a big bet. This isnt a sensible player we're talking about.

It really sucks that you nailed him with this flop OOP. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Definitely lead flop.