Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Default conjelco - ontario

Recently I phoned conjelco and had intended to order two DVD`s.
I was shocked after 15 minutes of the person fumbling about getting everything correct to learn I would have to pay $29.?? for shipping.
The person said that is the cost for shipping to canada.
Now add the duty and taxes and I`m paying a hefty price.
I decided at this time to wait for some canadian store to stock these items.
Has anyone else from canada had this same experience with conjelco.
I am certain there are other shipping methods from conjelco but the person said there is only Fedx. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jim grass
Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: conjelco - ontario

I got some Poker DVD's off of Amazon dealers for very cheap. The most expensive thing is the shipping and handling. I suggest you try this. Unfortunately it's hard to find the titles we're looking for in Canada.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM

Conjelco has horrible shipping to Canada. The shipping cost from conjelco alone for one book is actually more expensive than the total cost at amazon, including shipping.

I highly reccomend amazon.ca for anyone in Canada. No duties, no border crossing. I ordered both Harrington books and got them in only two days. I doubt Conjelco will match that, even at an amazingly inflated shipping price.

Gotta say, I love 2+2, their authors, their books, this message board, everything. But I won't touch Conjelco with a 10 foot pole, if that.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:02 PM

amazon.ca is a life-saver... chapters.ca, which i'd like to support too, doesn't have alot of the more obscure books (king yao, russell fox etc.).

if i lived in USA, i would buy so many used books. but shipping to canada is so nightmarish, to say the least.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 PM

I know nothing about the situation at Conjelco, but a lot of firms don't like to ship internationally for a lot of reasons, including inconvenience, extra work, and corporate or individual ignorance of postage rates, customs, duty, etc.

I sell books online, and occasionally ship to Canada. The US Postal Service has a Global Priority Flat Rate service that lets you ship whatever fits in their 9x12 cardboard envelope (up to 4 lbs.) for $9.00, anyplace in the world. Two DVDs would easily fit in this envelope.

International shipments require a customs form. This must be filled out by hand and taken to the post office with the package. This is additional labor. If you have a postage meter, you can mail domestic packages without standing in line at the post office.

There is no duty on books going into Canada. I don't know about DVDs.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Yes I am aware of Amazon.ca and use them often ,but the DVDs I want are not available for 3-5 weeks.
Just purchased HOH1-11 for $50 at amazon.
I am still waiting for Bob Ciaffone to complete his no limt book and be released.

jim grass
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 AM

In our case we seem to be unable to get US mail shipments to Canada in a timely manner. We delays of 5 or more weeks routinely. We also see higher than normal lost packages. As a result we switched to express services with tracking. But that has added expense. Hence the high shipping quotes.

Chuck
Old 11-10-2005, 04:07 PM

chuck,

I am an authorized 2+2 bookseller as well and I have been in the mail order retail business in general for over a decade now, with customers in over 30 countries. I have shipped over a quarter million boxes and I have seen just about every possible thing go wrong and how to deal with almost all bad situations.

I agree that the postal service is far from perfect when it comes to international shipments. It may be "cheaper" but there's virtually no way to track packages in transit (even their so-called "delivery confirmation" is only that, proof that it arrived, but nothing in between). if your package is lost, trying to make a claim on insurance that you PAID EXTRA for, is pretty futile too.

International express shipping via UPS or FedEx is indeed a lot more expensive, but you have an extremely higher peace of mind that the box will actually get there on time (and your money back if it doesn't). however, if you do have a decent amount of package volume (say, at least 50-100 foreign orders a month), you may be able to negotiate a substantial discount on book rates with your account manager. UPS also has a "Canada Standard" ground rate which is cheaper than air, fully trackable and guaranteed, and takes about 7-14 days which is reasonable for most customers.

with the rates that I have negotiated with my couriers, I can easily offer 50% or more off the international rates you currently offer on conjelco, with full guarantee of timely arrival. what the OP said cost you $29 to ship 2 DVD's to canada, I can easily do for $10 with trackable, barcoded, customs-free UPS service.

the only remaining issues are insurance and customs. it's sort of a catch-22 where the more you declare a package for to insure (in case it's lost), the more the customer may have to pay in border charges when it arrives. customers HATE to pay customs so it's best to declare for as low as possible. however, in my experience, the private couriers are reliable enough that you can send all the books out as "gifts" with no recovery value, and it will get there no problem.

my company's book division is relatively small so I don't mind offering these tidbits out to a potential 'competitior'. it's more important to get as many books out there overall to the people who want them.