Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-02-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Oahu, Hawaii Vacation?

[ QUOTE ]

borderline. . .cheapo souvenirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

true but that's what a lot of people want. They've got fair selection on things like padeos as well.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure to bring and constantly reapply sunscreen. The first time I went I was snorkeling and despite my girlfriend's suggestion failed to reapply sunscreen after. My back was a nice purple and I couldn't lay on it without it hurting like hell. To make matters worse every time she suggests something and I say it's not necesary this gets brought up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This what happend to me when I did listen to my GF about the sunscreen.

Costa Rica is 6 degrees off the equater.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've not been in November so I don't know about the surf (the ocean is like glass in the summer and has huge waves in the winter not sure about now, I would guess it will be big but not huge).

[/ QUOTE ]
the OP pro holding period runs from the 12th to the 23rd of November, so it's right in his timeframe. the Xcel finished yesterday in 6-10 conditions, so big waves are definately hitting already. No massive beach closing conditions, but the scene is definately on in Haleiwa.

for the OP, others have alluded to the touristy feel of waikiki. all very true, but Oahu is much more than waikiki. the great thing about an Oahu vacation is that you get what you put into it. if you're content to laze around on the beach, check out chicks, hang with the tourists and be surrounded by a commercialized Hawaii, then you can do that (nothing wrong with it at all). If you want to explore a bit and see some history (both hawaiian and US/World), you can do that (as an aside, the Arizona Memorial is a must see, imo, because of the history that it carries; plus, it isn't going to be around much longer, from what i hear). if you want to do the slow down, nature/small town thing, a trip out of waikiki to the beach towns on the north shore or into Kailua will let you meet your desires. There's also numerous day hikes into the mountains, more secluded beaches, and other off the beaten path things to do if you do some digging.

if you're looking for fine(ish) dining, forget Roy's and go to Alan Wong's. you'll thank me later.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 PM

If you don't like cold water, make sure you have a 3/4 wet suit. I am from Florida and that Paciic water temp in the 60's felt pretty cold to me.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like cold water, make sure you have a 3/4 wet suit. I am from Florida and that Paciic water temp in the 60's felt pretty cold to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. You have it that good in Florida? Granted, I'm from Oregon where the water feels like it's 40 degrees but I always enjoy the warm ocean water there.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the OP pro holding period runs from the 12th to the 23rd of November, so it's right in his timeframe. the Xcel finished yesterday in 6-10 conditions, so big waves are definately hitting already. No massive beach closing conditions, but the scene is definately on in Haleiwa.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I would highly reccomend to the op that he go to this if possible. I went to the pipeline masters (third leg of triple crown) a few years ago and it was a lot more fun than I was expecting. It's also really nerve racking if you're partial to one of the surfers.

Still hoping to see the Eddie. They had it the day I flew in last year so I missed it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oahu will be 72-75 this time of year, never really gets below 70.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. You have it that good in Florida? Granted, I'm from Oregon where the water feels like it's 40 degrees but I always enjoy the warm ocean water there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gulf of Mexico avg temp is around 80 for Ft Myers Beach (where I grew up). Goes down to around 70 in the winter and up to high 80's in summer.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM

some restaurants I hit up when I'm there:

La Mer at the Halekulani Hotel.
Alan Wongs on King St.
Chef Mavros also on King St. (go w/the first two restaurants before you go here. The first 2 are great for dates and food, the third is great for food)

brunch at John Domininis
get some coco puffs from Liliha Bakery - this u should do.
malasadas from Leonards
shave ice at Waiolas - also recommended.
sushi at Sushi King

there are a bunch of restaurants that serve great food after a night of drinking:
Side St. Inn.
Fook Yuen
and the late night locals favorite, Zippys.

clubs: the W, Zanzibar.

some things you shouldn't eat in Hawaii: Italian and chain restaurants.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

get some coco puffs from Liliha Bakery - this u should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] yeah!

These are so good we used them as the wedding cake at our wedding.