Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: River card makes me vomit in my mouth, plan of action?

[ QUOTE ]
i like check/call, because you only give up a value bet sometimes when villain doesnt bluff with a crap hand but you never fold the best hand. bet/fold always cost you 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think that you miss a value bet when he checks through with a worse hand a lot more often than he raises your bet with a worse hand. Very few SS opponents will bluff raise a river.

It's obviously a guesstimate, but let's say he bluff raises the river 1 time in 20 (I think that's being generous). I'd say that he holds a lower PP that he gladly takes the free showdown with far more often than that.

As far as inducing a bluff from a busted draw, there are very few draws on this board...T8, 56, 68 maybe a gutshot or overs + backdoor flush. I don't know how often we're going to be up against a player who would both limp one of those OESD hands from EP and raise the flop bet HU. I'll concede that a player like that is fairly likely to bluff at the river if we check, but I still think it's not nearly as often as he checks through with an underpair.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:33 AM

i think that bet and call a raise is the right thing to do here. i am and agressive player and have been playing SS for about 8 months. the pot is to big to fold and you never know what bad SS players have. vomiting is also the wrong thing to do hear Js Qs Ks As get cracked all the time by bad SS players, what you did right is making him pay to beat you.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:47 AM

Whether bet/call, or bet/fold is the better play, I think is open to debate. I like either of them a lot more than check/call.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think check call is slightly better than bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gross.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like check/call, because you only give up a value bet sometimes when villain doesnt bluff with a crap hand but you never fold the best hand. bet/fold always cost you 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think that you miss a value bet when he checks through with a worse hand a lot more often than he raises your bet with a worse hand. Very few SS opponents will bluff raise a river.

It's obviously a guesstimate, but let's say he bluff raises the river 1 time in 20 (I think that's being generous). I'd say that he holds a lower PP that he gladly takes the free showdown with far more often than that.

As far as inducing a bluff from a busted draw, there are very few draws on this board...T8, 56, 68 maybe a gutshot or overs + backdoor flush. I don't know how often we're going to be up against a player who would both limp one of those OESD hands from EP and raise the flop bet HU. I'll concede that a player like that is fairly likely to bluff at the river if we check, but I still think it's not nearly as often as he checks through with an underpair.

[/ QUOTE ]
i need to pay attention tothe board more. these are very good points. the board has very few draws and i've seen villains (and i do it myself) raise middle or under pairs when it looks like the pf raiser missed. If they get 3-bet they just call along like donks. so yeah, i like betting the river now.