Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: The Moon Landing Conspiracy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If science is questioning the moon landings, then I just got my answer to why some might not have an interest in the possibility of a God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, RJT, I hope you realize how ridiculous this sentence is. How did you get from the OP to scientists apparently questioning the moon landing? I'd really like for you to walk me through that thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had assumed no scientist even considered such a notion. The fact that someone actually posted such a topic here in SMP just threw me for a loop. So, I threw out the notion that if there are any then …

My initial post was really meant to be a stopper for any further discussion. That is, either you got some science going on with this nonsense or you don’t. If you do, then my statement follows. If you don’t then give it up.

As far as Timmy’s remark that my statement contributes nothing - thank goodness for that. It was meant to not only not contribute, but to help dissipate the discussion.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: The Moon Landing Conspiracy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Someone asked for a thread about this in another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was I.

So where's the thread? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I've seen some compelling evidence, although my mind is not made up entirely. I think the main important questions are:

1. Why did the shuttle emit a flame given there's no oxygen on the moon?
2. Why is there a glint of strings multiple times when the astronauts are jumping around?
3. Why does the flag wave without wind?
4. What technology did we have that could enable us to get there? The best computer we had at the time had the power of a simple calculator.

...and so on. There's some other questionable things, like the appearance of numbers on rocks and Coke cans and star formations and other crap. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - Already been addressed
2 - Never seen nor heard of these "strings". Pics?
3 - The flag "waved" because when the astronauts put it into the ground, the light aluminum pole it was attached to was vibrating, causing the flag to wave
4 - It doesn't take a complicated computing system to do most of the simple physics calculations required for the trip.
Other questions - If I took pictures of 1000 rocks, I bet you could find one that has a "number" or "letter" somewhere on it. Never heard of the coke cans thing. What "star formations"? The pictures they brought back didn't show the stars at all.

You forgot some of the other "important questions":

Why are there no stars in the pictures the astronauts took? (Answer: the exposure needed to capture pictures in bright sunlight doesn't allow the faint stars to show up)
Why do the astronauts shadows not line up parallel with each other? (Answer: The surface of the moon is not flat, and even small hills will cause shadows to be cast at different angles)
How were the astronauts able to take all these perfect pictures with cameras attached to the middle of their bodies? (Answer: 1 - They practiced a LOT before the trip; 2 - Many of the pictures didn't turn out well, but they'll obviously pick and choose the best ones to show the public)

There are a ton more questions, and every single one is very clearly and easily refuted. Just do some work on your own to find them out.