Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: How Stupid am I or how Brilliant is this Play?

Looks good, well played.

(This will be funny in 2 hrs)
Old 09-26-2005, 11:25 PM

I don't like the call.

Villain must expect hero to have a Q with a modest kicker. He's either trying to blow you off the hand or he's way ahead. There are about 100 combinations here that beat QT and about 70 9's that call the initial PF raise. I don't think hero calls preflop with a 3 and bets like this.

I think its unlikely that villain pushes a gutshot + pair like 9T with an expected 9 outs because its possible that many of them aren't clean. Unless I had a compelling read, I'd fold.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Villian

I had never played with the villian before. My only observations on him were from the play described before.
I have no idea based on an hour of play what his blind
defending patterns were like.

Did the turn card influence my decision? Perhaps.

Bruce

The fact
Old 09-27-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$5000 buyin NLHE tournament at the Commerce with 10,000 in chips to begin with.

I'm having a tough time having lost half my chips 20 minutes into the event. We're in level three with blinds of 50/100.
It's ninehanded but only six players are present and I open raise to 350 in the effective cutoff with QTo. BB calls.
I have around 4200 left and he has around 10000 left. BB lost T12000 around 20 minutes earlier playing a draw hard and then having his river bluff picked off.

Flop comes Q 3 8 rb

I bet 450 and he makes it 1100. I call.

Turn Q 3 8 9. He pushes and I call.

Comments appreciated. Results to follow.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played that high a buy-in, so you have every right to ignore my analysis.

First of all, I think you calling his raise on the flop was incorrect, you had to put $650 more into a $2300, giving you ~3.5:1 pot odds. I think his raise represents him holding pocket queens, and you only have a backdoor straight draw. If I've done the math properly, you have $3550 before action on the turn, and he pushes you all in, and you call the pot of $5850 with your remaining $3550. $5850:$3550 ~= 1.64788:1 pot odds, and you have 4 outs, to 46(or 44 if you agree with my read), giving you 11.5 or 11 to 1 odds of winning. With a stack that is small, yet still manageable, I think your play was incorrect. But I'd like to know the outcome!

[/ QUOTE ]
QQ? No reraise PF? and then raising him off when he has the nuts? Defintly not QQ
I just have a little trouble following, you said you were in the CO and bet 450,he calls in the BB? but he would be acting first here on the flop? so he C/R you here? Then you call the raise and he pushes the turn?
Sorry jus hard to follow, I would say your decision is on the flop when your check raised, AQ, KQ, QJ, or 88, 33 which are less likely, I think you can get away from this hand, barring some info on this player
-LL
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$5000 buyin NLHE tournament at the Commerce with 10,000 in chips to begin with.

I'm having a tough time having lost half my chips 20 minutes into the event. We're in level three with blinds of 50/100.
It's ninehanded but only six players are present and I open raise to 350 in the effective cutoff with QTo. BB calls.
I have around 4200 left and he has around 10000 left. BB lost T12000 around 20 minutes earlier playing a draw hard and then having his river bluff picked off.

Flop comes Q 3 8 rb

I bet 450 and he makes it 1100. I should have folded.

Turn Q 3 8 9. He pushes and I call.

Comments appreciated. Results to follow.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Call a check raise with top pair, medium kicker for what will likely be all of your chips by the river? A C/R of 1/4 your stack is sure to pot commit you before the river, assuming you call down. Unless you have an incredible read on this guy, get out before there's no turning back with your mediocre hand. There's still plenty of time to comeback from your early losses.

You said in an hour you hadn't picked up any of his patterns... which makes this a fold for sure. Had you paid more attention during that hour and picked up some useful info you might be able to take a different line.

I can see this as a possible play that BB knows will pot commit you, with the hope that you won't risk your tournament life by calling his push. Like I said, you'd need a great read to know if this was the case for sure.