Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Ace Jack on the button

generally, against overly aggressive players i pick my spots very carefully b/c they prey on loose action when they have a legit hand. While it is very true he could be raising with crap, why put in so much of your stack to find out when if you get called OOP against him your in big trouble. Also, he might smooth call PF with a big hand b/c he knows he will get a lot of loose action on later rounds. Or his call could mean KQ o. the problem is you have no way of knowing and the only way to find out is risking a big portion of your stack and getting in sticky situations like you got into. I agree that folding PF is a much better play or moving in so you dont get in trouble. iF you really feel he is weak dont let him draw out on you or outplay you on later streets b/c u know he's calling your reraise with a wide varitey. If you had AA i think a reraise is proper to induce action but with something as vunerable as AJ o i'd say push or fold PF to avoid much unneeded trouble.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:29 PM

I am saying he is ending up putting his stack in the middle with relatively nothing ~post-flop~ in that scenario because thats what hero is betting 1/4 of his stack with on flop with. I understand that it is part of the definition of continuation bet, and I believe proper continuation betting is a tremendous key to success, but I explained my reasoning against it here and why i'd prefer a delayed continuation bet here. I called AJo trash because I meant it towards that scenario, not that I wont be willing to get all my chips in with the hand under a different set of circumstances and that it may be a monster in other circumstancs as well.

On the other hand, I like reraises and pushes in this spot a LOT more if it were AQ personally.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:49 PM

I think I like flat calling preflop. On the river you pretty clearly have odds to call. In between, I think you played it fine.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, I like reraises and pushes in this spot a LOT more if it were AQ personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between AJ and AQ is not that big here.
Please put villan on a hand range that he will raise from the co, knowing that he is lag.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea it is

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not in this position...
Old 09-17-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea it is

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]so you fold AJo on button?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Results

I called villians river bet and he turned over KQo.

I feel early in the tournament reraising with AJ suited or
offsuit is probably too aggressive. Against villians range
of possible opening hands AJ is probably too strong to fold.

On the turn I don't see any reason to bet. If he has a pocket pair he has two outs. There is only one overcard
which beats me. If I'm ahead by checking the turn perhaps
I may induce a bluff on a board without any draws.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bruce
Old 09-17-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea it is

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]so you fold AJo on button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be re-raising in this spot about 95% of the time. Perhaps I misunderstood your post...
Old 09-17-2005, 10:03 PM

I would have to have a decent read to get to get involved with AJo here, and on second stage with "He seems to be overly aggressive" doesn't sound confident enough or enough information to actually label the villain as a LAG. So my play on future streets was according to my read of villain being that of a LAG, because I would not have been in the hand otherwise. And since, rewinding back to PF, I feel that I do not really have that read, AQ to me is a big improvement from AJ. If I did feel that I had that "LAG" read at this point in time, my play PF may have very likely been different, if I thought exit's hand range was pretty accurate. That doesn't seem to be the case when all I know is "He seems to be overly aggressive" and its only the 2nd stage.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:17 PM

I had never played with villian before. Rounds were one hour long and in around 2 hours of play he had probably raised 6-8 times. Earlier he had raised from the big blind and on a flop with an Ace he made a pot sized flop bet, checked the turn, and then when small blind bet the river he pushed and was not called. I never except for this hand
saw any of his hands. He appeared to be aggressive but it's
also entirely possible that he was getting a good run of cards.

Bruce