Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Tricky hand observed on stars last night...

Was watching a $25 table while waiting for a seat and the following hand came up

Player A raised in the CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The button reraised, CO called.

The flop came A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
What's your play? The button raiser is very aggro and somewhat laggy.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Tricky hand observed on stars last night...

Need a little more info. Both pot size raises pre? If so how big is the pot? Stacks all at ~25? Is button aggro enough to re-raise without AAxx?

Make it up if you don't remember clearly. But if stacks are relativly shallow I would probably check to him and call/raise all in. If he doesn't bet then I put some money in on the turn.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:53 AM

Both players had at least 120BB stacks, button is aggro enough to raise any four cards in position. The CO potted it pre and the button repotted. Pot would have been approximately $10 on the flop, with both players having at least $50 behind.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM

CO has 250xBB and the button has 300xbb before the deal. I discussed this hand with rempel already. I think given the size of the stacks CO shouldn't escalate things with a c/r. An argument could be made the button's response to the c/r will help define the rest of the hand but since the button is a LAG i'm not sure how much information this is going to give the CO.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM

You're right, I was thinking about it in terms of $0.25/$0.50.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CO has 250xBB and the button has 300xbb before the deal. I discussed this hand with rempel already. I think given the size of the stacks CO shouldn't escalate things with a c/r. An argument could be made the button's response to the c/r will help define the rest of the hand but since the button is a LAG i'm not sure how much information this is going to give the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is pretty deep there. I don't think that the CO should check/raise this flop unless he is prepared to see a showdown. If button pots it even a dumb min-raise would make the pot huge and hard to lay down if the button jams. I don't think it's deep enough for that. You certainly couldn't fold if you made a pot sized c/r.

You guys play this game better then me and I am not sure what the best plan here is.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, most likely he would raise if bet into with something like AKQJ.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:25 PM

If the stacks were 100xBB vs. a LAG it would be a no-brainer. But it is deeper so it seems like an effort needs to be made to put the LAG on a range of hands. On the button he is raising any four, but if we bet and he raises, does that narrow it down to broadway wraps and AAxx and up? Or does LAG make moves on the flop if he's bet into. I guess with middle set out of position and deep stacks I don't want to get pot-committed yet but it looks to me like the money is going in the middle here.

I guess that's the challenge of playing against players who are LAG and have position on you.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking this is a terrible spot to be in but I think an auto fold is horribly weak. I don't think seeing a turn card is terrible . Even if the button does have AA, there is a good chance you are going to add a draw to your hand.

The CO player ended up checking. The button potted and the CO min-raised (donk move! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). The button smooth called.

What range of hands are you putting the button on? How bad is the CO's min-raise?

Position isn't making a huge difference here. Switch the positions and JJ89 is still going to have a tough decision.
He is going to have to evaluate whether is set is best when the LAG is probably betting out or check-raising the flop a lot of the time.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:12 PM

Here's an "advanced play" that might work on this LAG player.

Check the flop. If Villain pots it, I put him on 4 broadways like AQJT. On the turn, if a 7 or heart falls, check-raise.

If Villain checks back the flop, I put him on AA. On the turn, if any KQT falls, check-raise.