Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Pocket Tens vs. Dan H. at Legends

UTG, I limp-fold anything over a raise of $900. Hope to spike a set on the flop for cheap. So if you limped and he made it $2100...I would fold.

As for the flop. I think you're behind and fold to fight another day.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 PM

i think key info for this hand is how ur table image has been?

so......
Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But early in a big time NLT, hands like 99, TT and JJ are easier to get into trouble with UTG or EP, then they are to fold. Personally, folding the tens preflop is almost an easy decision

[/ QUOTE ]

well first, especially in a deepstacked tournament, 9's and T's and J's are extremely playable, i don't know what would make you say they are a fold.. Even for only set value you have to play these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

TT UTG, with presumably 8 or 9 players yet to act. What are the likely hands to call? To reraise?

Let's assume that no hand with less than a Q (or worse, even a J) in it will be cold calling or reraising a UTG raise. What are possible hands are left over?

AA, KK, QQ, JJ
AKo, AKs, AQs AJs

That's probably about it. I can't consider that AQo and AJo are legit cold calling hands for a UTG raise.

So you are (very roughly) 50% likely to be a major dog. Are you willing to donate 1/4 or 1/3 of your stack knowing it is a coin flip to be a huge dog?

And you are (very roughly) 50% likely to be little better than even money (55-45 or so). Are you willing to donate 10% o 15% of your stack on a limp, knowing full well that you will have to make dead money out of it if you are reraised?

Where is the value in that kind of play?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 PM

I'm limping with the intention of raising all-in somewhat frequently.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Let me extrapolate. Twice previously
I had folded to reraises by Dan. From his perspective I felt like he knew I was trying to rob him, which I was when I attacked his blinds. He was in the small blind and big blind, respectively, when he reraised me and
I was forced to fold. When he reraised me with my smallish stack I felt
like folding was a poor option. Firstly if I survived there was the metagame issue and secondly I felt like there
was a fair chance he was guilty of larcency with his reraise. Thirdly Dan H. was playing quite differently than
one would expect from play described in his book.

Bruce
Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm limping with the intention of raising all-in somewhat frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the minimim hand that you'll limp re-raise all-in with? TT seems pretty low to me.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM

If you'll really be reraised virtually 100% of the time you limp, I'd think limping with tens and then reraising/pushing would be just fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 PM

Dan managed to get into your head with his variation plays, and made it seem like he was playing much different than what his book would say. A world-class player like him , with the reputation he has for conservative play, has no choice but to make variance moves that obviously work quite well for him. I give him credit here, and the best line is fold. Actually, call and flop quads to his boat [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 10:28 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer questions with questions.

Question number one is why play the TT UTG preflop anyway? I'm just a relatively inexperienced amateur player. But early in a big time NLT, hands like 99, TT and JJ are easier to get into trouble with UTG or EP, then they are to fold. Personally, folding the tens preflop is almost an easy decision. Did you consider folding the tens?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never ever fold tens in any situation from any position when the pot hasn't been opened yet
Old 08-30-2005, 10:32 PM

I think this information might lead me to believe he's even stronger.