Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default PlayNHpoker.com (Has Anyone Played In New Hampshire?)

www.playnhpoker.com seems to have a decent setup.

Their website isn't all that well organized, and the site leaves many questions unanswered:

* How many players are permitted for each tourney?

* How long is each betting level?

* What are the antes/blinds?

I contacted them via my comcast email and never got a response. Then I used my yahoo email and got a response to my questions, telling me to call Ken and he'd be able to answer them for me (uh......you can't email me the answers???)

So I emailed them again just letting them know an email would be fine, I wasn't interested in calling long distance for something so simple.

They responded asking for my phone number, and they'd call me. Kinda odd, but they did call.

From what I was told, they typically get 50-70 players for their Saturday non-rebuy tournaments during the summer, and 70-90 players during the colder months.

The first three levels are 25 minutes each, and all other levels are 20 minutes. Blinds start at 25/50, then 50/100 and so forth, and you start with 3,400 chips.

So, the setup seems reasonable (i.e. not an all-in fest right off the bat)

I'm considering checking it out in the near future as an alternative to Foxwoods. Has anyone played in these New Hampshire events? What is the competition like? How well run is it?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: PlayNHpoker.com (Has Anyone Played In New Hampshire?)

I've played their Wednesday night tourney twice. It was decently run -- felt like a well organized home-game tourney. Competition was all over the board. Mostly poor players with a few solid players mixed in. The Saturday tourney buy-ins are higher so that may bring a different crowd.

I think the juice is REALLY high b/c a portion goes to charity.

Cash games are $2 / street, max of 4 raises, rake $4 so its pretty awful.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
I've played their Wednesday night tourney twice. It was decently run -- felt like a well organized home-game tourney. Competition was all over the board. Mostly poor players with a few solid players mixed in. The Saturday tourney buy-ins are higher so that may bring a different crowd.

I think the juice is REALLY high b/c a portion goes to charity.

Cash games are $2 / street, max of 4 raises, rake $4 so its pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, their cash games looked to have a larger than usual rake. But their tournaments pay out 75-80% from what I saw, which is right on target with Foxwoods (their $45+$15 or $80+$20 tournies)

Plus, you get more starting chips in the New Hampshire tourney than you would in the Foxwoods weeklies. And Foxwoods is 100 miles for me, while these NH tournies are about 52 miles.

and the morning tournies at Foxwoods are populated with more "regulars" and stronger players since they're in the morning, and most fish come out after their 9-5 jobs end. So playing on a weekend should provide plenty of fish in the tournies.

I definetely have to check these out, thanks for the reply.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:48 AM

I don't know how close you are to Nashua, NH, but you could check this out also:

http://www.montecarlonh.com/tournaments.html

They also hold limit games, again, the rake and the juice on the tourneys is probably higher than what you are used to. I haven't played, but I understand the competition is mixed.

I did hear one negative thing from someone who played there; he claimed there were fillers at the tables playing with house money, raising into every pot to drive the rake up. I haven't played up there yet, though I keep planning to, so I can't vouch for that.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how close you are to Nashua, NH, but you could check this out also:

http://www.montecarlonh.com/tournaments.html

They also hold limit games, again, the rake and the juice on the tourneys is probably higher than what you are used to. I haven't played, but I understand the competition is mixed.

I did hear one negative thing from someone who played there; he claimed there were fillers at the tables playing with house money, raising into every pot to drive the rake up. I haven't played up there yet, though I keep planning to, so I can't vouch for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link, but I'm not a limit hold em player, or a cash NL player. I prefer NL tournies, or cash games of 7-stud, stud hi/lo and Omaha Hi/lo (limit or pot-limit)
Old 08-16-2005, 10:12 AM

They have no-limit tourneys every night as well as limit games.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have no-limit tourneys every night as well as limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but their website blows. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 06:19 PM

I have not gone but am intrested as I live in NH. One thing concerned me reading their site: They list a time 1hour 50mintues for their multis. IF that is the case then they are only 5 levels long? For instance the 100 that starts at 9:00 pm, yet at the top of the page they say the close at 11:00 pm?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not gone but am intrested as I live in NH. One thing concerned me reading their site: They list a time 1hour 50mintues for their multis. IF that is the case then they are only 5 levels long? For instance the 100 that starts at 9:00 pm, yet at the top of the page they say the close at 11:00 pm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.......good point, I don't really know? I was told the first three levels were 25 minutes each, then 20 minutes thereafter. But yeah, if they close at 11pm, how do they handle that? Do they just go by chip counts or what??? I'll have to try and find out.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:36 AM

Did you end up checking out Manchester last night?

I tried montecarlonh in Nashua Friday night. Pretty good structure for NH: 135 buyin, 100 towards prize pool with no rebuys. 3500 starting chips, 20 min levels, blinds 25/25, 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, etc. 47 people entered. Dealers were actually pretty good as they kept the action moving and dealt fairly fast. I was pretty card dead and busted in level 6 around 24th place. I am definately considering attending again as it is only an hour drive for me.
Steve