Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Default 6 max hand

UTG here has not been raising an inordinate number of times in this game, but he's been raising some strange hands (not open-raises, either). When he comes in for a raise if you play back at him he'll cap. He'll also go to showdown if he caught any piece of the flop, regardless of what he raised with (J6s, 85o are two of the hands he's shown down after his preflop raise).

Do I chuck this at some point?

P.S. is there a name for someone who isn't raising every hand like a maniac but will raise trash just because?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: 6 max hand

Looks good to me. I like the preflop cap and the flop cap since you've got a good hand and a lot of outs. I can't really think of anything to do differently.

If he had a pair of jacks or something that's just the way it goes sometimes.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 AM

If he showed down hands like J6S and 85o, I would bet the river for value.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'll also go to showdown if he caught any piece of the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

is he aggro postflop, like will he always playback at you if you raise him postflop, if he doesn't the flop cap is too much

I have a feeling he had JJ
Old 07-10-2005, 04:25 PM

Why do you cap the flop?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. is there a name for someone who isn't raising every hand like a maniac but will raise trash just because?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, a Donk.

Your play is risky but is entirely read dependent. You got the 1 card flush draw to the nine on the turn that will help you sometimes.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:28 PM

Good iso 3-bet PF
Flop raise OK, I don't understand the cap as you're going to get C/R'd on the turn quite a bit which really puts you in a tough spot. Against this opponent I'd rather invite him to lead into me on the turn. If it's another overcard I'll just call down and see a showdown. If it's a safe looking turn card I'll probably raise unless he's crazy enough to bluff 3-bet (which it doesn't look like he is).
Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He'll also go to showdown if he caught any piece of the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

is he aggro postflop, like will he always playback at you if you raise him postflop, if he doesn't the flop cap is too much

I have a feeling he had JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I capped the flop because he would follow up on his post-flop aggression, but slow up on the turn.

I felt I was legitimately ahead on this hand on the flop since his reraising meant nothing except "I capped preflop."

Knowing he's going to be reraising the flop with what is possibly trash, do I just give him the lead in the hand on the flop and call down, or do I play it as if I am ahead?

P.S.
it turns out villain did indeed have J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 05:43 PM

For starters, very good read. Thank you.

I love everything about this hand. In hand I probably wouldn't have had the good sense to cap the Flop but I think it's correct that you did.

On the Turn Villian is probably getting scared of overs and /or the flush possible, you have a ton of outs so I like the bet.

River check is awesome.

Good hand.