Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Ants

I'd try some of these guys' suggestions before getting an exterminator. Most of those sprayed poisons they use are extremely toxic and take forever to degrade. You'll basically be getting some of them into your own system pretty much inevitably. Unless you have no choice, I'd rather have only the ants absorbing poisons. I'd happily pay a good deal of money for something that works but doesn't involve blasting myself with poisons as well as the ants.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:12 AM

I had an ant problem in a house of mine in the kitchen. They were crawling in under the door from outside and getting into our precious kitchen-filth. I filled up a large pot of water and got it boiling, then poured it on the area that I though might contain the ant hill. THen I filled it up again, added a bunch of sugar to it, and poured a path across my driveway and slightly down the hill, where I poured out the rest of the sugar-water. I never saw from them again.

Freakin
Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 PM

I believe I heard that Boston has something called a phone book. YOu should be able to find the ACTUAL phone numbers to other pest control companies in the Boston area. You could then call them for a competitive quote.

FWIW, I pay $50 every other month.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Go to Walmart. Pick up Ortho spray. Spray around your foundation.

Orange
Old 06-28-2005, 03:45 PM

When we moved in our new place in Santa Cruz, I noticed a few ants in my bathroom. I squashed them and didn't think much of it, but they kept appearing every day and a few days later there were maybe 15 or 20 visible. Obviously, I was concerned, so Evan and I found the only bottle of anything even remotely chemical that I owned, Resolve carpet cleaner, and spent half an hour or so shooting ants. The stuff proved to be very effective, freezing and drowning all things black and crawly in sight. We hosed tons of the stuff into any small holes in the corners of the walls or countertop that they might be coming from, pretty much drowning them and their now-lifeless offspring into oblivion.

That was like, two weeks ago maybe and though we haven't seen any living ants since, ~two days ago Evan found four ants carcasses on my bathroom floor all clustered within six inches of each other. Not sure what that means. Maybe they are still alive and colonizing deep within the confines of our walls, but the power of the Resolve caused a multi-generational birth defect or disease that makes them collectively die together sporadically. Or collective cellular memory cause flashes of the attrocities of the ant slaughter to overcome them to the point of death when they come into contact with my bathroom surface. I don't know. All I know is that when it comes to killing ants, Resolve kicks ass.

GoT
Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Those little contraptions work very well. The ants go in there to get food and get stuck to the floor or they bring back poisonous food to the colony.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM

you could take some the advice about the various do it yourself remedies, or just call a local pest control service. With Orkin you are paying for their national advertising campaign and name...they use the same poison as everyone else. The local company will likely charge half of what orkin does and do an equivalent job.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:46 PM

I get ants every first week of July. House is Felix Ungar clean. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I don't do anything, they go away in a few days. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]